Tropico 3 Xbox 360 Demo released!
EL PRESIDENTE STARTS HIS CONSOLE REIGN AS TROPICO 3 XBOX 360 DEMO IS ANNOUNCED

2 LEVEL DEMO AVAILABLE FROM 18TH NOVEMBER

Bracknell, Baltimore, Worms – 18th November 2009

Kalypso Media have today announced that the Xbox 360 demo for the critically acclaimed Tropico 3 will be available to download from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on Wednesday 18th November for Gold Subscribers and 25th November for Silver Subscribers.

Prepare to be whisked you away to the Caribbean paradise Island of Tropico where you take up charge as the newly installed ‘El Presidente’ – after a warm up tutorial you have the chance to show off your Presidential skills with two full missions.

MISSION 1: Bananas
The abdication of the old Presidente of St. Helena provided the perfect opportunity for your rise to power. Now as the head of state it is your job to lead this small island nation to a new age of prosperity.

St. Helena is a modest island with rich and fertile lands, which have attracted the attention of the American food conglomerate Fruitas LTD. You should make use of the gringos to secure the financial future of the island as well as your own Swiss Bank Account.

MISSION 2: Second Chance
The band of rebels led by your twin managed to drive you out of your own island. Taking the entire treasury, you hitched a ride on an old fishing boat, seeking refuge in your summer residence on the island of El Acantilado.

Chased away from their own homes, your most loyal supporters have followed you. Taking the burden of leadership once again you have promised them a fresh start. Your new island is a poor and dry hunk of rock. Several rich iron ore deposits are its only viable resources...

Developed by Haemimont Games, Tropico 3 sees you take charge of your very own Caribbean island as the newly installed ‘El Presidente’ across 15 challenging and fun missions. How you run your country is down to you – do you turn Tropico into a vacation paradise, a police state or a modern industrial nation? The choice is yours but whatever your decision you will always have to defend your actions before your people!

Tropico 3 is out now in the UK for Xbox 360 (RRP £39.99) and PC DVD (RRP £29.99) for more information go to http://www.tropico3.com
Any chance to get non-Marketplace download option? I am Silver right now and I want the demo yesterday...

edit: and make sure to rate the demo high Wink
Sorry, the "Silvers wait for a week" demo policy is central, and we have no control over it.
Thanks, I usually dont have problem with this policy, but this time its different... Oh well, I guess I have to upgrade to Gold sooner or later.

I used to download demos from torrents and burn them on DVD-R, I guess this is not exactly supported solution, but it allowed me to play demos like RE5 early.
I don't know how this work, and if you have control over it , but Tropico 3 demo on xbox appears without cover picture, I'm not sure if that's in all markets, but just want to bring it to your attention, it appears to me without cover.

Sometimes picture can tell a lot. I remember when I go in the list of demos, I often skip games without cover picture, since there are a lot of games. People who do not know Tropico 3 , might miss it, if they don't see the cover photo, also upload some screenshots!
This signature has performed illegal operation and will be shut down. No charges has been filed yet. The attorney did not respond for comments, apparently he crashed while counting his potential earnings.
Which country are you accessing the marketplace from? The cover was missing on the German marketplace on release day, but it now appears fine. Maybe it's a cache issue?
(19-11-2009, 11:25 AM)Timo Wrote: Which country are you accessing the marketplace from? The cover was missing on the German marketplace on release day, but it now appears fine. Maybe it's a cache issue?

I'm right now living in Japan, so I accessed it from Japan market place, the time of my access is almost same as my post, because I immediately posted on the forum above while the game was downloading.

Issue:
Also another strange issue happened to me, the first time I ran the game, while I was browsing El-presidente avatars after selecting campaign, the whole system froze suddenly , not even xbox menu appears. The second time it works very well. It might be Tropico's fault, or might be XBOX 360 , xbox have issues anyway, not too long ago, Microsoft fixed the red ring of death in my xbox.

Comment

Although the interface controls are unique and creative, but I think the controls are exaggerated and overly complicated and non-standard. I suggest adding option to make the controls look like mouse pointer controlled by the stick, see Red Alert 3 on xbox for reference .

I have to admit, I don't really play strategies on xbox, I like mouse and keyboard, but Red Alert 3 was pretty convenient and playable, tropico 3's control is too new and frustrating.

Everything else looks great so far. but I didn't play much because of controls.
This signature has performed illegal operation and will be shut down. No charges has been filed yet. The attorney did not respond for comments, apparently he crashed while counting his potential earnings.
But Red Alert 3 has the exact same control scheme, the mouse pointer is locked at the center of the screen? This is how all the C&C games work, also Halo Wars, Battle for Middle Earth, etc... this is the "standard" way. Emulating a mouse and letting the mouse pointer move freely doesn't really work - you can try the CSI demo from the marketplace for an example.
(19-11-2009, 12:32 PM)assen Wrote: But Red Alert 3 has the exact same control scheme, the mouse pointer is locked at the center of the screen? This is how all the C&C games work, also Halo Wars, Battle for Middle Earth, etc... this is the "standard" way. Emulating a mouse and letting the mouse pointer move freely doesn't really work - you can try the CSI demo from the marketplace for an example.

Is that so? maybe I forgot. lol, sorry then , this have been more than a year. I ll check the demo again tonight , if it is still playable or CSI.

but I don't see why mouse emulation doesn't work well, since Tropico does not require urgent and quick actions, and current controls don't allow much fast interaction either. Xbox stick is push sensitive, meaning it can detect how much the user pushes it, if harder , therefore, can make mouse pointer go faster, that way it won't be frustrating to move too slow or move too fast.
For mouse emulation you need more precision than the analog stick gives you. You'll see in the CSI demo, it's particularly bad there :-)

Generally, you need three XY plane controls in an RTS view: move the pointer on the screen, rotate the camera, pan the camera. On the PC, pan is combined with rotation (via the auto-scroll when the edges of the screen ar hit), and rotating is hidden on middle mouse button drag or Alt (in our games, at least). On a dualstick controller the mouse movement is combined with pan by fixing the "pointer" to the center of the screen.

In Tropico 3, there's an additional small tweak to make selecting with an imprecise pointer easier: the pointer is big, and covers several buildings usually; A cycles between all the buildings cover by it, while X cycles between all the units. When you point at a building and press A, but another building gets selected because it is also visually under the pointer, it's easier to press A again instead of adjusting the view just a little with the stick.
(19-11-2009, 01:13 PM)assen Wrote: For mouse emulation you need more precision than the analog stick gives you. You'll see in the CSI demo, it's particularly bad there :-)

Generally, you need three XY plane controls in an RTS view: move the pointer on the screen, rotate the camera, pan the camera. On the PC, pan is combined with rotation (via the auto-scroll when the edges of the screen ar hit), and rotating is hidden on middle mouse button drag or Alt (in our games, at least). On a dualstick controller the mouse movement is combined with pan by fixing the "pointer" to the center of the screen.

In Tropico 3, there's an additional small tweak to make selecting with an imprecise pointer easier: the pointer is big, and covers several buildings usually; A cycles between all the buildings cover by it, while X cycles between all the units. When you point at a building and press A, but another building gets selected because it is also visually under the pointer, it's easier to press A again instead of adjusting the view just a little with the stick.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Maybe, MS should make mouse + keyboard for xbox, but hey laptops also have stick for the mouse, I know it is not as good as mouse, but I don't see the current method better too. in anyway, if that's the xbox standards, then it is probably the best option, since xbox gamers should be used to it.

I'm originally PC gamer, and played strategies for long time, probably my opinion is too biased toward mouse and mouse emulation, I even prefer moving pointer by keyboard than current controls on tropico 3 xbox.

I ll post later here when I try CSI and red alert again, thanks for the great game and discussion!!
There is a mouse/keyboard adapter available for the XBox. I doubt many people have it though so it's probably not worth programming a mosue pointer. They may still work with this control method. Stick control really doesn't work with pointers, those small adjustments are a nightmare and very fiddly.

This system is easily the best but also caused a problem for me early doors. But I'm used to it now, so after just a few hours play I'm zooming around and selecting stuff easily.
The "adapter" is an unofficial thing that emulates dualstick controller; the Xbox receives the same info as it would from a dualstick controller, not real mouse/keyboard. There's no way to receive real mouse/kbd info from a game.
I just checked CSI and Red Alert, you're right. CSI is very bad in controls with that mouse failed emulation, I tried to put it on a place and whoa it went way away. frustrating.

Red Alert uses similar way as Tropico, except cursor is smaller, probably fit for Red Alert purpose, thanks for clarifying .
I've downloaded and played the demo yesterday, I love it apart from the layout when selected buildings, it have to move the selection all the over the place to get to some buildings.

Other than that, it is brilliant. Smile
Hello, forum goers and Kalypso staff. I've just played the demo for a bit and wanted to give my two cents.

I should start off by saying that I am primarily a console gamer and rarely check out these more PC-style sims. Not very many of them have shown up on a system I'm capable of playing them on, and the ones that do either do a poor job of explaining the mechanics to someone new to the genre or have poor controls. Fortunately, I feel that Tropico 3 does not suffer from either of those problems, but there is one issue: Like a lot of console gamers I still play on an SDTV. Much of the text in Tropico is perfectly readable, but some of it, such as the text in the Almanac, is pretty difficult to read. This is really the one thing holding back my enthusiasm for the game, and I was wondering if there are any plans to increase the font size for console players who are still rolling with 480i displays.
(20-11-2009, 03:43 AM)Holt Wrote: Hello, forum goers and Kalypso staff. I've just played the demo for a bit and wanted to give my two cents.

I should start off by saying that I am primarily a console gamer and rarely check out these more PC-style sims. Not very many of them have shown up on a system I'm capable of playing them on, and the ones that do either do a poor job of explaining the mechanics to someone new to the genre or have poor controls. Fortunately, I feel that Tropico 3 does not suffer from either of those problems, but there is one issue: Like a lot of console gamers I still play on an SDTV. Much of the text in Tropico is perfectly readable, but some of it, such as the text in the Almanac, is pretty difficult to read. This is really the one thing holding back my enthusiasm for the game, and I was wondering if there are any plans to increase the font size for console players who are still rolling with 480i displays.

exactly, it is really frustrating, the game is great but the text is unreadable unless u get up close to the TV, u hit the nail on the head, something needs to be done about this and the game will be great
Yes, yes... text size is a huge problem. I loved this demo. I'm on a mac and don't play a lot of games on it (It's my work machine. I try to keep fun stuff off it in an effort to stay productive), so I'm super excited to get a construction simulator like this for my console. I've played through the demo about five times now and am chomping at the bit for the full game, but I'm on an SDTV and will be for a while still. The text size is Killing me! I'm sure it's too late to address this issue since you release Stateside in Feb. but if you can give us an option for the text size it would dramatically improve the gaming experience for those of us stuck in standard definition land. Otherwise, I'm all in!
If the text size is too small for you, can you please tell us what size TV do you have, whether it's SDTV or HDTV, and what distance you usually play from? Thank you!
SDTV 46 inches 5 - 6 feet away (though with the demo I'm constantly leaning in and squinting to read the text... or moving the text at the top of the screen out over the water so it's more visible).
SDTV 12 x 16 inches Tv (its in my room not in a playroom, so its small) and about 5 feet away but i have to get up really close to read the text
The demo is now available to all Xbox Live subscribers (not just gold).
i think it will be unanimous that 360 owners will have problems with the text size, please kalypso fix this issue, other than that i love this game
To all those having problems reading the texts: Please state your TV size, the type of cabling you're using and if you're using SD or HD resolution.

On some sets, turning down image sharpness should increase readability.
All I can say is thank you for this game. I have put about 15 hours in the demo already and want more so badly. February is too far away! I can see now that this game is going to suck my life away for a good while, while at the same time becoming one of my favorites. Which leads me to this...

Is the US version still in development? I have never done this before but I have a suggestion and I suppose... a request. I don't know if many other gamers are like this but I am all about immersion. It would be really neat if the camera could enter your avatars head for a first-person camera view. The reason I ask this is because this is the first RTS that has looked this amazing up close that I have played. Zooming in all the way provides surprisingly good graphics. I would love to be able to explore my creations in a more immersive and intimate way. I probably wouldn't suggest this if the in-game camera could go lower to the ground than what it already does.

I know this is an odd request and that it is probably too late to ask for it. Maybe with some DLC down the line something like this could be implemented? If providing an option to simply lower the camera further to the ground is more simple to accomplish that would be awesome. I think adding that viewpoint to the already awesome avatar system would be a neat compliment to it. Anyways, thank you for delivering such a rewarding experience to the Xbox 360. If I had a good PC I would have the full version right now. I will be spreading the word.
Try clicking the left analog stick when you have a unit selected. It's not first person, and is not controllable, though.
(03-12-2009, 10:56 AM)assen Wrote: Try clicking the left analog stick when you have a unit selected. It's not first person, and is not controllable, though.

Yeah I know. Sad

That's a neat feature too though.
(02-12-2009, 05:37 PM)Timo Wrote: To all those having problems reading the texts: Please state your TV size, the type of cabling you're using and if you're using SD or HD resolution.

SDTV 12 x 16 inches Tv around 5 feet away, i dont really know what you by type of cabling, the 360 is hooked up to the TV with the cables they supplied (can some1 clarify what is meant by this?)
(02-12-2009, 05:37 PM)Timo Wrote: To all those having problems reading the texts: Please state your TV size, the type of cabling you're using and if you're using SD or HD resolution.

26", component cables, SDTV. Viewing from about 5 feet away. Adjusting the sharpness didn't have a significant impact on readability.
Ok, so I know I've asked this elsewhere but seeing as I'm being ignored I'll try here too.

Where is the timeline editor in the 360 version, as stated on the box artwork?