Urban Empire (1.1.6.5) - Bugreport thread
(This is the coninuation of the previous Bugreport thread)

Please feel free to post any bugs in this thread and we will have a look at all of them and eradicate every bug as soon as possible.

Latest Hotfix (Changelog):
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=29471

How to:
  • Before posting any bug and/or problem, please have a look in this thread and make sure you are running the latest version of Urban Empire (version 1.1.4) and all of the requirements and workarounds have been applied:
    http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=29439
  • In case of graphics display issues or crashes, please share your system specs (OS+bit, CPU, GPU and RAM), summary and describe reproduction steps if possible.
    We will take a look at every reported issue to ensure a quick solution is provided if necessary.
  • If all the solutions could not help, and the bug has not been reported in here as well (to avoid reposting bugs that might have already been posted.) feel free to use this thread to report in-game bugs.
  • Last but not least, you can also contact our support, if you are having technical issues here:
    support@kalypsomedia.com

(Old/previous thread for version 1.1.4: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/editpost.php?pid=214823)
UPDATE!
Hi everybody.
Please be aware that version 1.1.6.5 has been released.
For more details and a full changelog have a look here:
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=29471

This thread has been updated accordingly.
-cheers
Hello,
First post. Just got game. Just had a game crash and the message said it would be nice to send it to the developer. Happy to...

Where do I actually find it?
How, and to where, do I send it?

Anxious to learn more about UE.
Hello Stonn.
More details would be appreciated as well.
So could you share some more details about the crash?
Important for us would be:
- System specs (either a full DxDiag, or at least OS+bit, CPU, GPU and RAM) to get this sorted properly in the first place.
- Where do you play the game, Steam or GoG.com?
- When does the crash occur? On start, in menus, after X-time playing the game?
- Does it always crash at this specific point/after a specific time, or does it crash, if it crashes at all randomly?

Additionally, have a look into this thread, that already provides some tips and tricks as well as workarounds:

cheers

Unerde
unerde,
I too have had some crashes but so far no report to say what happened. Mainly when I'm restoring a saved game file. Doesn't happen often and going back in the save works fine.
Hi Omnius Prime.
So please share as much information as possible based on the list I just posted one post above yours in order to get this sorted properly.

Additionally you can also send your savegames that might have caused the crashes directly to our support altogether with a DxDiag.txt and a small description summary of your problem in order to get this sorted properly and forwarded straight to the devs.

More details on how to obtain you savegames and or how to create a DxDiag and to contact our technical support can be found here:

cheers

Unerde
Unerde,
Nothing really to report on loading saved game crashes. It happens occasionally when I'm in the game and going to load a saved game. No specific file causes a crash, it just happens randomly. I go back into the game and load the same file just fine. I'm using Windows 10 and didn't set it to run as administrator as I haven't had any of the issues listed previously.

I asked a question regarding Infrastructure Maintenance and that's a question I wish you would answer. I'm just trying to understand how that works as it seems to happen annually in August yet I've seen it happen in March and April too. It's really noticeable when you get to the 5th Era. When one month in July you have a major positive net income and in August boom you're losing 12 million and the next month is back to normal.
Unerde,
I finally got a crash and an error report. I sent the two files generated. I didn't send a dxdiag.txt file though. How do I generate that in Windows 10?

I did find the info on creating dxdiag.txt file and did this. I resent two crash error report files along with dxdiag.txt file.
Hi Omnius Prime.
Awesome. Thank you for that. So further on, what the support will do is sending all those details and information to our devs, that will have a look into this.
Beyond that I cannot make any promises or giving out any ETAs.

Keep it up!

cheers

Unerde
Unerde,
Sadly I found another bug, this time an edict that disappeared after I looked at it but cancelled the vote. I went back to look at the available edicts to vote on and it was gone, it didn't properly go back to the available to vote on section. It wasn't in the passed ones and wasn't in the list of bills being voted upon. I had saved the game just before looking at it and it still didn't show up. I was able to go back to a prior saved game file to find it.

One thing I don't like about your method of bug reporting via email is we have no idea what bugs are reported or not. Am I wasting time sending in the edict bug report because it was already reported? You really need to put up a sticky list here giving us an idea of which bugs are being reported and are being worked on to fix. Not worried about ETA of the fix, just knowing a bug is being fixed is reassuring.

You'll notice that I did post a report here about my first bug, apparently saved game files shouldn't be reused as data from the old file isn't completely overwritten by the new data of new districts being saved over the old ones. Now I have to post another report about my latest disappearing edict bug report so others have a clue to watch out for that problem.

Wiedersehen!

Omnius Prime
I just started 1.1.6.6 (bought from GOG).  The tutorial is on; I picked the first map (Riminni) and the Kilgannon family, if it makes a difference.
2 bugs:  on the steam forum it says it is rare to have the district name glitch.  After I built the second district as the tutorial instructed, every time I tried to build a new district the name said "New District" until just before era change- then as the steam reply said it started naming inventions (Bessemer Process for example); all of these districts were voted down so none came to being with a name glitch.  Not rare- every time.  During the latter glitches I noticed the pointer had the place-district cursor ( a green angle line) permanently stuck to it.

Secondly; just as era 2 was coming in, the tutorial instructed me to "modify" the districts.  I tried both of my districts.  I had modified both several times before, so I knew the "modify" button is on the district card reached by clicking the district name/icon.  This time neither district would open the district card.  Apparently the tutorial was broken.  I will be starting over with the tutorial off for comparison.

Note- the political points are very confusing.  Can't seem to find any description of how they work.  In the old days it was said that a game was only as good as its' manual.  Food for thought.
Hello mrhinton.
Do you have a savegame, which makes it easy to reproduce the problem you have written about?
If this is the case, please reach out to our technical support:
support@kalypsomedia.com
and provide them a small summary/description of the problem (as you have done here already), add a DxDiag.txt and the actual savegame/s.
With all those, our devs might get this properly sorted.

cheers

Unerde
@mrhinton

Your second point about "Modify District" - was there a vote in progress on some aspect of district modification. You can only have one modification vote in progress at any one time. Which is annoying in itself but that's the game mechanics.
To Unerde;
Sorry I couldn't get to a wifi point till today; we had back to back blizzards here Thursday and Saturday through Monday;  I was describing various bugs during the tutorial- I have save games from there.  Since turning off the tutorial none of these problems have recurred, over three games.
to billyplod: no, no votes in progress on districts at the time; that doesn't affect those cards usually in any case- you can still open them even though the modify button would grayed-out.  It was definitely tutorial related.

On the other hand today I have a map that bugged out- when placing a district I didn't notice that one of the squares had NO COLOR and when the council passed it (you really need an emergency rescind to take a "modify district" bill off the voting table) streets and boulevards underwrote the entire set of all districts maps and extended off the edges of the town area.  I wish I could send you the save game but I have no idea where the saves are located.  I'm definitely not playing off that save.  I've checked documents, and gog/urban empire/ files.  Saves are elsewhere.  This is Win8.1.  If I can find them I'd be glad to send support a package.
mrhinton,
Saved game files can be found at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\REBORN\Urban Empire\Save. I've had some problems with district buildings being built outside of district areas. I found that by reusing saved game files that old district info doesn't get wiped and can interfere with the new districts. Always use new saved game file names to ensure you don't cause this problem.

Omnius Prime
Thank you Omnius Prime;  that's the last place I would have looked for a game satellite file.  BTW except for the street proliferation glitch, I've never had any problems with buildings outside of districts.  I always overwrite the old files and never have any problem with UA (only specific game/configurations over the last 35 years excepted).    You may have a config prob.  If you have W 7/8/8.1/10 you can get problems with games installed to the defaults (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) due to a "big brother" program monitor in newer windows. My UA went into the Gog games folder so I don't get a lot of background-app glitch from that one.  (I so miss wXPsp3).

BTW: I've been watching your vids Big Grin ;  very nice.  I saw the street glitch but there was no sound on that file to describe it though.
(24-02-2017, 11:55 PM)mrhinton Wrote: Thank you Omnius Prime;  that's the last place I would have looked for a game satellite file.  BTW except for the street proliferation glitch, I've never had any problems with buildings outside of districts.  I always overwrite the old files and never have any problem with UA (only specific game/configurations over the last 35 years excepted).    You may have a config prob.  If you have W 7/8/8.1/10 you can get problems with games installed to the defaults (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) due to a "big brother" program monitor in newer windows. My UA went into the Gog games folder so I don't get a lot of background-app glitch from that one.  (I so miss wXPsp3).

BTW: I've been watching your vids Big Grin ;  very nice.  I saw the street glitch but there was no sound on that file to describe it though.

mrhinton,
The short street glitch slideshow was just meant to be able to show to Kalypso. I had done a start to the game then reused those saved game files to create new districts. They definitely created the problem. When I started over with new files the problem went away. Somehow the district data in the old files was never completely overwritten by the new ones.

Finding the saved game files wasn't easy. I liked it better when games saved files in the game's main folder in an easy to find save file subfolder.

Thanks for watching my videos, I'm trying to be different from the others and give some useful info, not just unending running of the clock with little happening.