What is Vikings – Wolves of Midgard?
Fast, brutal and tactical, the Action RPG Vikings - Wolves of Midgard takes you to the shores of Midgard in the midst of Ragnarok, the end of days! In a believable world based upon the mythology and history of the Vikings, you will battle fearsome giants, the hordes of the undead, and the twisted beasts of Ragnarok, as you try to survive the growing cold that threatens to end all life, forever.
Master a variety of mighty weapons, including the sword and shield, two-handed hammers, dual-wielded axes and swift bows, and unleash devastating spells on your enemies.
What are Vikings – Wolves of Midgard’s main features?
- Varying locations: Travel the realms of earthly Midgard, freezing Niflheim and boiling Balheim, either as a fierce Viking warrior or merciless shieldmaiden.
- The deadly Fimbulwinter: Withstand the deathly colds and protect yourself from exposure to nature’s wrath in order to survive.
- Tribute to the Gods: Collect blood from fallen enemies and sacrifice it at the altar to gain gifts from the Gods to enhance your powers.
- Berserker rage: Control your rage, or let your anger take hold by activating Rage Mode and use it to your advantage to overwhelm your enemies in combat.
- The art of combat: Perfect your skills with each weapon to unlock their true potential, including swords, bows and spell-powered canes.
- Teamwork: Take a friend along on an adventurous journey to the shores of Midgard in an epic two player online co-op mode. Choose between four difficulty levels to match your skills and talents. Do you dare attempt the unrelenting hardcore mode?
- The clan of wolves: Rebuild your village and lead your clan to glory.
- Destructible environments: Utilize your surroundings by burying your foes under falling rocks or pushing them off high cliffs.
What platforms will Vikings – Wolves of Midgard release on?
PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC, MAC, Linux.
What engine does Vikings – Wolves of Midgard use?
Vikings – Wolves of Midgard uses the Unity engine.
When will Vikings – Wolves of Midgard release?
Q1 2017 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC, MAC, Linux.
Will Vikings – Wolves of Midgard include modding support?
Currently, there are no plans for modding support.
What languages will be available in Vikings – Wolves of Midgard?
At the moment, we are planning to feature English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian and Polish localization. At the least, the English and German versions will also have localized voiceover.
Who is developing Vikings – Wolves of Midgard?
Vikings – Wolves of Midgard is being developed by Games Farm in Kosice, Slovakia, with a team of 25 men and women working on the game. Games Farm has released more than 10 games in recent years across several platforms. They are mostly known for the Air Conflicts series and the highly praised Action RPG Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms.
What separates Vikings – Wolves of Midgard from other Action RPGs out there?
Vikings – Wolves of Midgard is the first story-driven Action RPG set in a brutal, fantasy Viking world and is heavily influenced by Norse mythology. Compared to other games in the genre, you won’t be spoiled by massive amounts of loot. Instead, there will be an extensive crafting system where you can collect materials to be used by the armourer and smithy in the game’s village ‘hub’ to create new equipment. In addition, there are scattered fragments of mythical weapons and armours spread across all of Midgard to keep collectors and gear-hoarders on their toes. Your equipment determines the strength of your Viking – you don’t level up your character itself, but the weapons you currently have equipped, with each slain enemy inching you closer towards unlocking a weapon’s true potential. Also, along with the usual threats of monsters, mythical creatures and giants, players will also have to deal with exposure to the elements, such as the never-ending winter enveloping most of Midgard, the lethal poison in Utgard or the blazing heat of Balheim (Muspelheim).
Will Vikings – Wolves of Midgard feature a multiplayer mode?
Yes, Vikings – Wolves of Midgard will feature a 2 player online co-op multiplayer mode.
Any other modes besides single- and multiplayer?
There will be a New Game+ mode which allows players to further develop their character, master all the other weapon sets and unlocking the full range of ‘gifts’ to perfect their character. The Trials of the Gods present players with a challenge to withstand waves of monsters or battling tough bosses to earn precious rewards, like equipment and runes, to further enhance their character. There will be 60 trials overall (10 per god).
Will there be character customization options?
Players can choose whether to play as a fierce Viking warrior or a merciless shieldmaiden. There are basic customization features like hairstyle and color, beard, and tattoos. Also, you can choose your starting weapon set; such as sword and shield, dual-wielded axes and bows.
How many different weapons are available in Vikings – Wolves of Midgard?
Players can choose between different weapons types which can be ‘mastered’ to unlock their true potential. Swords and shields, two-handed hammers/axes/swords, bows, dual-wielded axes/swords, and staffs. But choose wisely, as you can only fully master two weapon types per playthrough. Note: if the weapon you choose can be wielded in different ways (eg. axes), then mastering the weapon will allow you to use it two-handed/dual-wielded, etc with equal ability.
Will there also be a physical version?
Yes, Vikings – Wolves of Midgard will release as a physical edition at most major retailers for all platforms. The details will be fleshed out closer to release.
Is there much variety when it comes to environments and worlds?
Vikings – Wolves of Midgard will feature a huge variety of historical and fantasy locations and environments. Players will be able to travel to the realms of Midgard, Utgard, Niflheim or Dvergheim – based on environments such as snow, mud, villages, caverns, shores, medieval cities, and many more.
Do the names of the worlds/levels such as ‘Midgard’ have a meaning, or are they fictional?
Most of the levels in the game are deeply rooted in Norse mythology:
- Midgard, home of the human race (essentially, Earth).
- Utgard, the stronghold of the giants, located in the Outyards.
- Niflheim, is the darkest and coldest region, and lies in the north.
- Balheim, originating from Muspelheim; the home of the fire Giants and Demons.
- Dvergheim, a fantasy world, and the home of the Dark Alfar (sort of Dark Elves).
Any word on replayability?
With every New Game+ playthrough, the equipment you craft and discover becomes even more powerful. Also, don’t forget that you only can master 2 weapon sets per playthrough. Collect as much blood as possible to unlock all the gifts of the gods to become the most powerful Viking in Midgard and the realms.
This FAQ will be constantly updated, so stay tuned!
For more questions and feedback of any kind, feel free to post or even create a thread in the Vikings - Wolves of Midgard main thread.