FritoPatata's Transportation Guide, Roads and Garages for the Masses
Excellent Guide!

-Although it may be misleading to refer to it as a "Transportation Guide", as it is so far also the best "Generic" guide I've seen.
Been awhile since i've looked at this thread. I have changed my thought on it, but not sure of the solution. While a "long circle" helps, and the smaller circles where 3 or roads cross, I've found the biggest issue is with cars stopping, and garages... Instant jam.
I would venture that using the smaller circles to connect 3 roads or more (the circle about the size of a power plant), and have all buildings off the main circle (theory) might help with moving cars around over all. I admit, i haven't really played with the smaller circles for muliple roads. I know where ever there are buildings, there will be traffic jams. And it REALLY becomes a problem when only one road leads to the dock, and buildings are on that road as well (deathwish).
Thank you very much for your wonderful guide!
Political views:
Capitalists (+++)
Intellectuals (+++)
Militarists (+)
Environmentalists (-)
Nationalists (--)
Loyalists (--)
Communists (---)
Religious (---)

(16-08-2010, 01:09 PM)bigfatjonny Wrote: I'm trying to stimulate a bit of interest in this thread again, particularly now that absolute power is out.

From this forum http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tropico/caf...ic=11301.0

Quote by loverevolutionary - "I just figured out why the Taxi Tycoon Guide is wrong, and why his experiment didn't work: drop-offs. When a Tropican wants to visit a building, his car stops outside that building to let him off, holding up traffic. With only loops and no side roads, this will be a major problem. As intersections don't slow traffic down realistically, it may be better to have more intersections to side roads that have high traffic buildings fronting them. Also, without a nearby garage, the car will have to make a long trip to one, creating even more traffic problems."

This is also something I have observed.
One point not brought up by FritoPatata is the fact that cars don't just disappear they have to go to a garage after dropping off.
I haven't tested the loverevolutionary idea of side roads yet, does anyone else tested this?

I my last game I had a single route from my mining area to the dock with housing and services on a side loop on the way. Where houses were close to the main road junction, traffic slowdown was increased by cars dropping off at houses (which then continue on to another garage).

Hypothesis:
To effectively manage a large island traffic must free flowing. On a long road with no intersection and no drop offs cars move quickly and efficiently. This is want we want to achieve.
Congestion is caused by two things;
1) Cars trying to turn across traffic into and out of intersections (Cars turning right into an intersection do not really slow down that much and cause much congestion?)
2) Cars stopping for drop offs cause all traffic behind them to stop.

Thanks for your continuing interest in my guide. I have to admit, I have not picked up Absolute Power yet, but from what I can understand, it really did not change much as far as the mechanics of traffic flow. It just added a smaller garage option and some dirt roads, which are generally just aesthetic in nature, and will certainly not improve traffic.

As far as cars returning to garages, this is really a factor that we cannot predictably control. The best we can do is provide adequate garage access at both the beginning of a Tropicans journey, and at the end. My guide seeks to keep all of the industries on your island together as to not interrupt your cash flow due to heavy traffic volume. By keeping industry separate from residential and commercial areas, you avoid a lot of the drop off traffic involved in the frequency at which Tropicans visit services. We should not really care as much about traffic in residental areas as we do about traffic that could affect our cash flow.
My first act as El Presidente... Throw the Radio DJ off an oil platform with his feet in cement.
(16-08-2010, 01:09 PM)bigfatjonny Wrote: ... Hypothesis:
To manage a large island effectively, traffic must free flowing. On a long road with no intersection and no drop offs, cars move quickly and efficiently. This is want we want to achieve.
Congestion is caused by two things;
1) Cars trying to turn across traffic into and out of intersections ...
2) Cars stopping for drop offs cause all traffic behind them to stop.

I have to suggest that you neglect a third and perhaps most important cause of Congestion.

Every adult person has completely equal access to a single occupancy vehicle.

For pity sakes, there is no differentation of who gets to 'hit the road' by class, income or any rational concept of what number of vehicles ought to be on the road for gameplay purposes. Then the vehicles have to return to a garage DRIVERLESS because of the game design rule of "suspension of disbelief" does not allow a vehicle to vanish when the driver gets out? What could be more unbelieveable?

The player's attention is so completely diverted to road construction and traffic control that one wonders if the game is trying to compete with the 'transport tycoon' genre of games.
(25-08-2010, 06:27 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: The player's attention is so completely diverted to road construction and traffic control that one wonders if the game is trying to compete with the 'transport tycoon' genre of games.
***LOL***

But indeed... it' just: Make roads like a spiders-web. Always (!!!) use ONLY T-junctions. And also DECENTRALIZE the needs-buildings as everything else. And you will see the traffic slippering well. Smile

This usually results in very funny looking excessively unsymmetrical, colorful, bended and twisted towns. This is usually not adequate for what the most posters here think is "right". They mostly need regularity. But this is not the way Tropicans or Tropico work at all!
At least this is my observation.

Maybe... just to mention: I nearly always play at full speed and do not pay much attention to those highscores... But I'm disappointed if I have to start a mission a second time because of failure!
(25-08-2010, 06:27 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: The player's attention is so completely diverted to road construction and traffic control that one wonders if the game is trying to compete with the 'transport tycoon' genre of games.

Is that a bad thing? I can't think of a more fitting city builder game to integrate Transport Tycoon type gameplay into considering just how much control you are suppose to have in this game over everything that is going on. When you consider the SimCity series which dosn't even make much use of much of the potential it has of offering transport strategy and yet still the transportation aspect is the only significant strategic gameplay in that series.

Even if the depth was merely directing the traffic on foot (The Settlers 2 anyone?), such as teamster routes and main walkways connecting one area to another, that would be a welcome addition in terms of adding more depth and it would be very fitting considering the games focus.
(28-08-2010, 10:26 AM)Vimpster Wrote: ... I can't think of a more fitting city builder game to integrate Transport Tycoon type gameplay into considering just how much control you are supposed to have in this game over everything that is going on. ... and it would be very fitting considering the game's focus.

I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the game's focus.

In any case, if you really wish to go the Transport Tycoon route, it's going to take a considerable additional amount of both development and gameplay resources, e.g. ironing out the current kinks and adding multiple people movers. But, different strokes ---- Rolleyes
(29-08-2010, 03:09 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the game's focus.

In any case, if you really wish to go the Transport Tycoon route, it's going to take a considerable additional amount of both development and gameplay resources, e.g. ironing out the current kinks and adding multiple people movers. But, different strokes ---- Rolleyes

Well in the context of my last paragraph I was refering the game's focus to the tropical island setting the game uses.

As far as requiring more in game resources to be implemented and such, I don't think that would be neccesary. Its pretty much all there already. You already have farms producing raw resources and factories producing manufactured goods and teamsters assigned to moving all the goods around the island. The only thing really needed is some manner of setting up routes for the teamsters so as to add some strategic element to the whole process.
(29-08-2010, 07:02 PM)Vimpster Wrote: As far as requiring more in game resources to be implemented and such, I don't think that would be neccesary. Its pretty much all there already. You already have farms producing raw resources and factories producing manufactured goods and teamsters assigned to moving all the goods around the island. The only thing really needed is some manner of setting up routes for the teamsters so as to add some strategic element to the whole process.

This is exactly what I tried to highlight in my guide. Right now there IS a strategic manner to doing this. You need to ensure than the teamsters are going to take a short and mainly congestion free route from raw materials to factories and then from factories to the docks. I cannot stress how important it is to relocate your dock, sometimes multiple times in a single game, to ensure that your cash flow is not interrupted by civilian traffic.
My first act as El Presidente... Throw the Radio DJ off an oil platform with his feet in cement.
I really love the guide. It helped me so much! I took a look at my best island and realized the problems immediately. I tracked it too. I went from making a about 500k a year to about 1 mill in the first year alone. Very good guide. Keep up the good work.
Nice post... interesting ! [Image: http://greenrent.de/smileyhappy.ico]
Finally I found something interesting about Tropico 3 strategies ^^

I must admit I'm almost using the same tactic to organize my islands.
My build order focuses mainly on farms and flats in the early stages of the game, then I quickly buy the first education building as well as a church, and some medical building, and basic entertainment buildings.
Then I focus on harvesting ore and building my industry, i.e. every industrial building I can use on said island.

Once I got a solid industry, and before the mines depletes, I move to the tourist building.

I tend to use the same organisation, with one side of the island dedicated to tourists, another to industry.
I found that having a circular road around the island solves most traffic jam issues IF and only IF you put enough secondary roads around garages, so they can be avoided "easily" and minimize the jams.

I do however have some issues with industry buildings...
I don't understand what ratio of harvesting building I need for each industry building I build.
I wasn't able to find as well how to place efficiently my industry building: do they have to be near the harvesters, or it doesn't matter at all?
Its also hard to see where a church is missing (no problem for freedom building, we have access to such stats), but what about religious buildings? And educational building? What's the ratio? Does their placement matters?

If you have any piece of info about that it would be great!

PS: at the moment I satisfied with my island, with almost 100% satisfaction for all factions (I set the game to custom, with a 80% difficulty, for testing purpose). I have a fine economy (reaching 1 000 000$ in a few months) and a lot of tourists ^^
(05-10-2010, 04:03 PM)sybylle Wrote: I do however have some issues with industry buildings...
I don't understand what ratio of harvesting building I need for each industry building I build.
I wasn't able to find as well how to place efficiently my industry building: do they have to be near the harvesters, or it doesn't matter at all?
Its also hard to see where a church is missing (no problem for freedom building, we have access to such stats), but what about religious buildings? And educational building? What's the ratio? Does their placement matters?

If you have any piece of info about that it would be great!

I have some insight into these topics... I'll address each in kind:
-On ratio of harvesting to industry buildings... it depends a lot on your chosen traits. If you have chosen farmer as your background (which I really like to do) then you can count 3 farms for every 2 that you own. I also like to choose Booze Baron and Hardworking as well, so I make massive amounts of money on alcohol and get great production from my industries. The general rule in my opinion is 2 farms for every factory, if your are a farmer and have located the farm on very fertile land, then 1 farm can probably sustain a factory on "easy does it" setting.

- On proximity of factories to farms... This is largely personal preference. Early on before you relocate your dock, it is best to place your factories near your farms and away from your populace. However, they should be as close as possible to a garage so workers can arrive quickly and goods can be easily moved to the dock. Once you have moved your dock, I like to locate my factories right by the dock, creating a very short path for finished goods to travel.

- On churches and service buildings... Your island should only have one church, but at a certain population point it becomes necessary to have more than one cathedral. This is not really something you can track, but you should monitor how many members of your island belong to the religious faction, eventually their respect will begin to decline without any obvious reason, and this is 99% of the time due to overcrowding of your first church and cathedral. I have never come across a situation where I needed to build more than one high school or college. Once your population becomes educated, quite often these buildings will sit fairly empty. You should follow the diagrams in my guide so you can see the optimal placement for Cathedrals and Education buildings, remember, you want Tropicans walking to these services if at all possible.

Thanks for reading my guide! Cool
Ah I see ^^
I haven't finished reading your guide so far (was at work when I picked it >.>), but I'll do it accurately now :p

I'll see how it works on my last save...
I did had [as usual might I say] some troubles with religious and army from time to time, but I solved it building many churches and army camp (I'm rich, I don't care!).

Maybe I can destroy some buildings.... >Big Grin
I can't tell you how much this thread helped in my island building. Thank you very much for everything.
your Transportation Guide is very helpfully.
Thank you very much for this good stuff!

Excellent guide and thanks. I havn't seen these big huge islands but can appreciate the problem. What I do is create a cloverleaf straight away, that is, the main st I start with is the center of said cloverleaf (playing pizza sandbox isle w/ 30 pop). Using all curved roads if I can help it, take each end of main st and split them into a "Y" with 2 road lengths, cap these "Y's" with loops and they kind of look like a snowcone, and will fit a gourmet restaurant or something small, then connect N/S with long curved E/W roads. Costs about $800. Long story short: don't "Tee" into a road, "Y" into it. All of them.

Thanks for the tip that teamsters in garages actually transport goods (I thought they gassed up cars and stuff) be aware thought that their native job satisfaction is on the same scale as farmers and there is no way to un-sweat them.
Factory/raws ratios are plastic because farmers etc yield varies w/ exp. Lumberjacks start at 50 and top out around 70. I only run furniture as a sideline but would probably run 2-3 lumbermills fed by 8-9 lumberjacks per each furniture factory. For style points I run one lumberjack per each logging site with both upgrades. (lonely, solitary creatures, lumberjacks are, actually, "OK")
(26-12-2010, 04:36 PM)Knefsky Wrote: Using all curved roads if I can help it, take each end of main st and split them into a "Y" with 2 road lengths, cap these "Y's" with loops and they kind of look like a snowcone, and will fit a gourmet restaurant or something small, then connect N/S with long curved E/W roads. Costs about $800. Long story short: don't "Tee" into a road, "Y" into it. All of them.
That sounds really good!
But unfortunately I can't get a picture of that been popping up in my brain. Maybe on a long dark December-day you might find the time to load up a picture of such a perfect "Y".

Happy x-mas greetings
Well the first thing I put down road wise is a racetrack oval around my starter town, thats what I mean by curves. Then take the starter main street and connect them to the oval in 4 spots. The 3rd street that usually goes nowhere is trashed. This is what I mean by "Y" >---< the dashes are main street. Might be undoable on a tight mountainous island.
I'm gonna try to modify this a bit if you were trying to create a more economically equal island. So basically only one giant housing zone is needed. Possibly because of this, you could place education centers, basic services, and AoE jobs more effectively. You could also eliminate the need for the power planet by building a couple wind turbines. Eventually you could possibly phase out all industry and export agricultural sectors by just turning the island into a giant resort, with almost everyone working in tourism, and all needed things like basic services, entertainment(that tourists could also use), education, etc. You could from there, make all food, fish. This is will cause you to lower food quality slightly, but you can now eliminate the entirety of agriculture. Now you could have only 3 main areas, main road, housing district, and a tourism/entertainment center.
Sense, someone feels like expressing there religious views in there signature so will I.

God is a myth!
There is also another thing to consider. tourist will travel to ANY entertainment building on the island, even if you placed a few near them. They can very easily ignore what is near and go by the pub you built "downtown". Becomes a challenge keeping the tourist and the locals seperate.
(07-01-2011, 06:06 PM)Lenin Cat Wrote: I'm gonna try to modify this a bit if you were trying to create a more economically equal island. So basically only one giant housing zone is needed. Possibly because of this, you could place education centers, basic services, and AoE jobs more effectively. You could also eliminate the need for the power planet by building a couple wind turbines. Eventually you could possibly phase out all industry and export agricultural sectors by just turning the island into a giant resort, with almost everyone working in tourism, and all needed things like basic services, entertainment(that tourists could also use), education, etc. You could from there, make all food, fish. This is will cause you to lower food quality slightly, but you can now eliminate the entirety of agriculture. Now you could have only 3 main areas, main road, housing district, and a tourism/entertainment center.

The problem that I find it doing it this way is that the tourism sector does not employ enough people if you have a large population. Going for a tourist economy in a recent game, I still needed to build out the industrial sector if not for the sole reason to employ people.
(22-05-2011, 05:28 PM)LeaT Wrote: The problem that I find it doing it this way [Lenin Cat's] is that the tourism sector does not employ enough people if you have a large population. Going for a tourist economy in a recent game, I still needed to build out the industrial sector if not for the sole reason to employ people.

This is pure curiosity! And somewhat OT from the transportation topic. Why be concerned with full employment and\or why doesn't the tourist industry provide full employment?

If you have sufficient revenue, you can pass the Social Security Edict and allow the Unemployed to live on the "dole." That way they provide a "reserve" for your workforce.

I understand that there is a limitation on the number of tourist "accommodations" that need to be built and that limits the employees needed for them. But what of the "attractions?" If you have the revenue and are not "scrouge-like" in demanding a profit from all of them, why not build enough of them to employ your surplus population?

Again, just curious.
First, let me say that like so many, FP's guide made a tremendous difference in my play. Thanks, FP, for putting it all together.

Second, I picked up playing again after a long hiatus, and I thought I might post how I tweaked FP's methods for my own use, in order to solicit feedback on the setup.

I make a generally loop-ish setup, as per FP's guide, but I also ranch beef...a lot...as in it's outproducing my oil...bunches. What I setup, after reading all about garages, is tiny little spurs, sticking in from the loop or main thoroughfare, each terminating in a garage. Between the main road and garage, along the spur, are a Market, a Church, a Clinic, and a Cabaret. Then, there's about 4 Apartments, 2 on each side of the spur, right before the garage. Sometimes I vary the exact building, but not often. Kind of like this:

FFF
FGF
R|R
R|R
H|E
C|M
------

Then, around the garage, I place 4-6 Ranches.

So far, what I've noticed is that this keeps a fair number of cars off the main roads, since everyone lives, eats, and gets care in the same location; those that don't, don't have to go very far. According to what I've read, Tropicans only use Garages where the live, and where they work. By placing everything they need on each spur, everyone basically works and lives near what they need. Exceptions occur, but they are acceptable traffic issues, like dockworkers or 'downtown' workers like teachers, etc. I keep the numbers of employees down to one or so at these locations; I consider the build cost minimal in the long run.

What I end up with is that all the 'support' Tropicans that service the Ranchers can also live in the local Apartments (they might not, but they could). Figuring on 12 Ranchers, plus 6 or so support people, means 4 Apartments more than suffice. It also keeps the supply of exports readily accessible, since they abut the garages.

Thoughts are welcome!

-J
Good guide.

However, personally I never use it. It doesn't look right.

It's makes the game look like any large scale city sim...reminds me of the strip malls of Anno. Ughh

While I do plan out my initial city. ( laying out roads, planning on future building, resource sites ) after awhile I just go with the flow...makes the city look more real. Go to the center of any city in the world and you'll see the center of the city is pretty much thoughtfully planned out but as you reach the suburbs it gets more and more chaotic.

That's the way my cities turn out...

While I can understand the need for planning and traffic control, by the time your city is that big you should be so buried in money and some little traffic jam, or lack of garage should make little difference.

I'll take a more natural looking city and island over the Indy 500 Speedway any day.

Not dissing your guide...I even gleaned a few new tips just reading it. Appreciate that.

Marriage across eductiation levels is a bit problem. A professor/farmer couple either lives in the home next to the farm or the university which means, that one always has to travel across the entire island.
There's nothing you can do about that.
Thank you much, FritoPatata, helps me much ...

merry x-mas @allSmile
(07-11-2009, 12:28 AM)FritoPatata Wrote: Hello Everyone,

This is my first guide, and actually my first post on these official forums, so bear with me if I do anything wrong. I have been ghosting on here awhile, and playing the game for some time. I believe I have found an excellent way to layout an island to prevent traffic jams and use a transportation system effectively. Enjoy! Tongue

--FritoPatata

[font=Impact]Introduction[/font]

Hello and welcome to my Transportation Guide. The purpose of this guide is to assist players in optimizing their transportation networks to achieve maximum profit and minimal commute time, all while taking the needs of their Tropicans into account.

Any good Presidente knows that the less time a citizen spends sitting in traffic, the more time they can spend working! It is the only way to maximize your profits and turn your island into the gem of the Caribbean!
[font=Impact]Assumptions[/font]

1. The person reading this guide is familiar with the Tropico 3 UI and has a few campaigns or sandbox modes under his or her belt.
  2. The player does not mind going in depth into the system Tropico 3 uses for transport.
  3. The player keeps harsh judgement to themselves, because the theories put forth in this guide are just... theories. I am not a developer, this is all based on observation as well as plenty of hands on experimentation.

[font=Impact]Logic[/font]
  1. All things equal, a Tropican will take the shortest route to their destination based on speed.
  2. A tropican works any time that they are not filling a need, such as food, religion, entertainment, etc.
  3. A tropican will pick the best housing available that they can afford balanced with the closest housing to their place of employment. In the game guide, this is indicated as they will only pay rent equal to 1/3 of their family income. So... if you have a college educated worker making $18, you should set the price of his intended housing to $6. If you want an educated married couple to move into a place, you should build nicer homes (mansions or condos) that go for $12 (i.e. 1/3 of their combined income) It is rare to get such a couple, as often Tropicans will marry without regard to social class, so you are safer setting rent for your most expensive dwellings to the following formula: (C/3) + (HS/3) = Rent. Beyond setting rent, you must make the housing convenient enough to a Tropican's employer that the gain in housing quality exceeds the increase in commute time.
  4. If a tropican can more easily walk to work, it is best to let them do so to keep cars off the road. This should be balanced with when a car makes a trip faster and is worth the addition to traffic.
  5. Raw Materials should be given the fastest possible path to factories, and in turn factory goods should be taken to the dock for export as quickly as possible.
  6. Based on the above ideas, the ideal place for a Tropican to live is as close as possible to work while keeping their needs in check and in the best manner possible. The tropican also should not reasonably interfere with the transportation of materials whether raw or finished.
[font=Impact]The Model[/font]

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/4081...830483.jpg]
Click here to view the image in its largest size 1200 X 800
Some terms I use that I should explain:
  • AOE Jobs- Jobs that have an Area of Effect. Buildings like this would be the TV Station, Newspaper, Police Station, etc.
  • Skilled Non-AOE Jobs- Jobs that do not have an Area of Effect, but require at least a high school or college education. Buildings such as this would be the Armory, Immigration Building, etc. This grouping does not include services.
  • Basic Services- Services that a Tropican will seek to fulfill such as healthcare, religion, etc.
  • Education- The High School or University fall into this category, seperated from basic services to serve this guides purpose.
  • Production (Green Zone)- Anywhere that raw materials are extracted. This could be a farm, mine, logging camp, etc.
  • Industrial Zone (red zone)- Anywhere that raw materials are refined into a finished product. This includes all the games factories.
  • Tourism Zone (gold zone)- Zone reserved for Tourist housing and attractions such as hotels and spas.

The idea behind this layout is first and foremost that your construction workers and teamsters have priority on the fastest route across the island. With rare exception, they will be the only ones using that road in the center of the map which will allow them to quickly get anywhere they need to go on the island, especially to the Tourist and Industrial Zones. For the Upper class zone and the Production zone, they will walk, and will not have far to go.

Basic Services are placed in the center of the map on the north side of the expressway. This puts them close to their employees which are generally high school and college educated. Education is put on the south side since the student of such places live in low class housing (with social security edict). The disadvantages are that to get basic services, the lower class dwellers will need to cross the street on foot. However, this keeps them close enough to walk, and the design of the road system is such that getting in a car would not make sense. You can prevent the upper class folks from having to cross the road by positioning a few high class dwellings near the two schools and making sure they take up residence there.

On the north side, the skilled workers live close to where most of them will work. Which is in Skilled Non-AOE Jobs, or AOE Jobs. The position of these facilities allows them to walk to work, and in the case of AOE Jobs, allows both sides of the road to receive full benefit. In the case of factory workers, they hop in the NW garage and take a car East to their place of employment. There will be a few uneducated types living here to work in the central entertainment district, but they will probably marry into families to where they can afford the housing. The Entertainment can be set to high quality, so the rich tropicans get good service quality values and also pay you back top dollar. Some workers will go to work in the tourist zone, they will be able to travel very quickly from North to West, as most traffic on that section of road will be upscale tourists that like to wander. Assuming the nicest entertainment is up here, the positions of the hotels in the tourist district may seem flipped. This is not the case assuming you are going to provide them with their own brand of entertainment in their respective zone. This will discourage them from going into local territory. Some will venture out anyway, but that is the case with the tourist in this game.

On the South side, the lower class lives close to their assumed jobs in farming, mining, and construction. They are provided with cheap entertainment in the center of their housing, and are given easy access to education should they decide to move up in the world. Cheap tourists may find their way here, but will be discouraged due to the flipping of the hotels. Since most jobs in the Industrial zone are intended for the middle class, most of the travel happening from South to East is going to be raw materials. There will no doubt be some middle class families living there, but again, you can monitor the living quarters and evict as necessary. A few living there is not the end of the world. Most travel will happen from South to West so that workers can take their jobs in the service industry catering to tourists.

Guard Towers are placed in the four corners for maximum protection, and i recommend an army base in either the Skilled Non-AOE job area or near one of the AOE job areas linking to the Island Expressway for their transport. The Power Plant is placed there mostly for environment reasons, since skilled workers will need to reach it, it is the longest commute of the grouping.

[font=Impact]Intersections[/font]
Intersections are the bane of transportation networks in real life and in Tropico. Metropolitan areas around the world have gone to great lengths to improve their transportation networks by providing highways and public transportation to reduce the gridlock caused by a busy intersection. Unfortunately for you, El Presidente, such technology as on/off ramps, multi-lane highways, railroads, and even stoplights do not exist in your island paradise. Beyond that, your people lack anything more than a rudimentary understanding of traffic laws, often stopping in the middle of a road to drop of a passenger or even doing a U-Turn on a busy street!

To combat the damage an intersection can cause to a road network on your island, you need to spend some time at the beginning of a game looking at the various overlays and seeing where the most profitable sections of your island are located. Once you have found them, you need to think ahead and decide how you will provide quick transportation between them and your industial sector/dock so you can get paid! You also need to consider limited vs. unlimited resources. Will this section of island only be valuable as long as the mineral or oil deposit lasts?

The main thing I am advocating in my model, is a clear and traffic-free route for your raw materials to make it to the factories and the finished goods from the factory to the dock as quickly as possible. Thus, it is important that you make every effort possible to provide a continuous stretch of road from raw materials, through production, all the way to export with as few intersections as possible. While it is important for your people to get to and from work as quickly as possible so they can produce and refine the goods, they often work in shifts, and usually half of them will be working at any given time (averaged out). But, all the production in the world doesn't mean anything until those goods get to a dock. In a perfect world.. your production pipeline should look like this:
[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2743/4090...5c5df5.jpg]
Click here for the full size picture

Once you have exploited all non-renewable resources (which i advise doing early on) that are not in your raw materials production area, your model should look like the one above. The sooner the better. By that point in the game, your treasury should be fat, and you will be able to move your dock to a place more convenient for shipping and less convenient for immigration, since you will be more likely to count on your citizens reproducing for your workforce.

Early on however... it is pretty common to have it look like this...
[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/4089...6c13b9.jpg]
Click here for the full size version
A mess, through and through. You will have choke points caused by intersections between the gold mine and raw materials, another one at refining, and then a third near the docks. Not to mention that it is possible to have these goods going right through the population area. The good news is that since it is early in the game, gridlock is probably not much of a concern, and your average gold mine will be depleted fairly quickly. The iron or bauxite mine is likely to hang around longer, which is why you should exploit this resource immediately.

[font=Impact]
Conclusions
[/font]

I plan to add more to this guide, and will be reserving space below this post for that purpose. I also plan to make a custom map intended for proof of concept. I realize that no Island is perfectly shaped like this, and that light adjustments will need to be made (i.e. a gold mine in the Upper Class area) but this is more so a method for showing the most efficient way to move people in Tropico 3 than it is an island blueprint. I will be editing this main post with more details and thoughts as I encounter them. For now, play with the layout, and tell me your observations... by doing this we can all become better players and make the island of our dreams!

RE:

Your guides was fascinating, are u planning to have a T4 guide?
Some remarks or questions or what i dont know how to say,
I do realize that playing a stimulation game like T4 need alot of plannings.
but some island are not particularly "round" or near coast area, somes have narrow path (maybe meant only for roads) and some are terrain unstable Sad.. Im a newbie ya, but i get to understand the game after a tutorial, which means its a great game unlike SC3 Rush Hour deluxe.. it took me forever to build big city.. but T4 is different, its an "easy understand" game. When i 1st play sandbox, (i like sandbox more thn campaign, maybe more freedom to build what i like.) i didnt realize the traffic congestion till i reach above 500+ populations.. but due to the terrain unstable and half way thru the game, i cant be possibly detonate all the building and follow ur guide.. so yeah, i adjust abit this and that to my roads, and i turn to found out something.

Having a round layer of roads which consist of outer layer and inner with more thn 3 junctions can significantly solve the traffic problems by a little. Once you have a junction, it tend to be over populated by cars and therefore traffic games occur.. but more junctions doesnt mean more congestion, sometimes(depending on situations) it can smooth the area by a little.
oh ya btw, can i ask something? whats with the "Income Disparity" in the game? i dont seems to really understand it well enough tho..

You look cool! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
The news are very good,the transportation must very helpful....Fiber optic adapter