Tropico 5 fails to start issue (boxed retail) - Hotfix available!
Guys, I bought the game, I wanna play it, help me!
This shouldn't be so difficult and time consuming to play a new game!
I bought the box version today. I started by inserting the CD and allowing it to run the auto-install software on the CD. At the end of the installation I say yes to start the game and click finish. AND nothing! 15mins. disable Bluestacks software, try again and nothing! search online for rants on defective game software. Find this forum and download and run hotfix. Launcher starts requests that I register for updates etc. Confirmation email doesn't arrive for over 10 mins. Finally login, there is a 1.4GB update so I press button to download and install. (1MB / second) 70 min mark passes. Go for a P at 95% come back and no sign of the launcher running. It never asked for the product code. Launch a second time asks for code. Accepts code, then advises there is a 1.4GB update, I move onto the next step because I already completed this task I thought, Cheese update 16MB, ok I download. Quick download, launch button, click, splash screen, "Checking for downloadable content...please wait." Nothing appears to happen for 8+minutes. Restart laptop, disable Bluestacks, start Tropico launcher. Download 1.4GB update a second time. At end of download launcher disappears and mouse changes to wait state for a few seconds before returning to normal as if nothing has just happened. Now past the 2 hour mark. restart laptop, disable other app, restart launcher, skip download, start game, splash screen again, no progress. Restart, search forum for answers and finding none start launcher again and leave splash screen running, maybe it is doing something I think but programmers simply didn't think to add a progress indicator. Start up old mac desktop machine and try to sign on forum with my new game account but no access granted, re-register for forum access. Realize that I shouldn't have used the email address as access name to this forum because it shows up for trolls to add to collect and sell to spammers. This forum doesn't use the same data base as the game registration! Try to correct settings to not show my account name, find this thread, begin typing this message, notice that my user name (my email address) is showing as browsing this thread. Launcher is still "Checking for downloadable content..." 3 1/2 hours have passed and still no game! CtrlAltDel Kill app Tropico
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU 2.4GHz
8 GB RAM
64 bit system
DirectX 11.0
GeForce GT 740M Ver: 9.18.13.4475
Intel HD Graphics 4600
HD Cap: 844GB free space
3rd time downloading 1.4GB I was lucky. The Installer /updater finally launch successfully. Possibly because I killed all background processes related to Bluestacks and McAfee(wasn't an active virus scanner but the app that checks for updates), then again maybe it was simply the luck required for MS Windows apps hehehe
Thank you very much! it took ages to find an answer...
Okay, this is getting really frustrating. I have a boxed retail copy and I've been trying for hours to get this to work. After the first hour, I found the hotfix update to make it launch. Then it launched and ask me to download a 1.46 GB update. After it downloaded, it prompted that it would run Tropico 5. But then it disappeared. When I clicked it again, it asked me to run the 1.46 GB update again, which I did, same thing happened!! So, then I did it again and it wanted me to update it again. I clicked "later" and clicked "play Tropico." Then I got the title screen which said "Please wait....checking for downloadable content" with the waving flag in the corner. Well, after an HOUR, the flag kept waving but the screen did not change. So, I did control-alt-delete and ended the program. HELP!!!!!! Admittedly, I haven't played the game in a few months, but I was all ready to get back into this again and I'm extremely disappointed. I'm a huge devoted Tropico fan. Please HELP!!! I've just about given up.
(12-01-2015, 05:54 AM)desiree03 Wrote: i have done this as well can you look at mine for me to see why my game will not work for me

hi - yes if you post your DXdiag and screenshot (if you have one)
Okay, I got it to stop asking me to download 1.46GB update, but it is still stuck on on the first screen with the flag in the corner and at the top says "Please wait....checking for downloadable content." Please help!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to play this game again!
@justnote
Check your firewall is allowing Tropico FULL access.
Woo hoo! It finally works! I had to do a complete uninstall, then install, then hotfix, then download updates and it worked!
I'm having the same problem as justnote. I bought the preorder retail version last year, but my gimpy GeForce video card wouldn't cut it. Last week I got a new Alienware and installed the game, but it wouldn't launch.

So I found this thread and went through the whole process, uninstall > reinstall > hotfix > updates

And it just stalls out on the Checking for dlc page with the flag waving in the corner Any suggestions? I'm, a longtime Tropico fan and I've been dying to play #5.

ETA: I did check my firewall, but Tropico isn't listed as a program that I can allow access (but my Civ Beyond Earth game is in there, and it's unblocked).
@Caribbean Stud

You should be able to add them to your Firewall list manually. Civ BE and Tropico have use the same settings on my machine so I guess they will be the same on yours. You know where your Firewall is (you've checked) - there should be an Option to "ADD".

I have STEAM VERSION and there are 2 entries so look in the Install directory for the Tropico ... exe and appdata.exe both have access through the Firewall
Muchas gracias, senor! That worked great, I feel like an idiot for not noticing that Add button ...

After unblocking Tropico 5 in the Firewall I downloaded the update and the game launched fine. Now I'm off to go terrorize some peasants. The reign of Pedro Borracho the Drunken Tyrant will live on!!
(18-11-2014, 02:21 PM)Timo Wrote: Hi all,

The boxed retail versions of Tropico 5 using Kalypso Launcher have been hit by a hideous activation bug which prevents the Launcher from starting up properly.

If you're affected, please download and install a hotfix restoring Launcher functionality from this location:

http://download.kalypsomedia.com/Kalypso...Hotfix.exe

The Fix will auto-install in the correct installation folder for Tropico 5 and the Launcher will then prompt you for any other available updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
hi, my game wont load for some reason and wondering if anyone out there can help me.

i have a
hp 15 notebook pc
processor: intel(r) pentium(r) cpu n3530 @ 2.16ghz
ram 4.0 gb
64-bit operating system,x64-based processor
windows 8.1
Intel HD Graphics
i was able to setup the game on my computer but cant play it.
(18-04-2015, 12:00 PM)theman Wrote: hi, my game wont load for some reason and wondering if anyone out there can help me.

How is this related to the hotfix?
(18-11-2014, 02:21 PM)Timo Wrote: Hi all,

The boxed retail versions of Tropico 5 using Kalypso Launcher have been hit by a hideous activation bug which prevents the Launcher from starting up properly.

If you're affected, please download and install a hotfix restoring Launcher functionality from this location:

http://download.kalypsomedia.com/Kalypso...Hotfix.exe

The Fix will auto-install in the correct installation folder for Tropico 5 and the Launcher will then prompt you for any other available updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

The hotfix cannot even find my tropico 5 installation to fix it.

Very disappointed.

The game was working one day, then the next it would crash on startup,

I have tried the fixes suggested by other users and it does not help,

How do I go about getting a refund as I am not happt with this product...
(27-04-2015, 08:11 PM)thecaptin Wrote: The hotfix cannot even find my tropico 5 installation to fix it.

Where did you purchase your copy from?
@theman

This is probably due to the fact you are using the Intel Graphics - and depends on which HP 15 model you have - some of the higher end models do have OEM video cards on board - eg. e037cl has a Radeon 8400 HD card.

So you need to check if your model and see what video card is on board if any, then make sure you are using it, if you have one.
(27-04-2015, 11:10 PM)Timo Wrote: Where did you purchase your copy from?

Steam
(02-05-2015, 08:23 PM)thecaptin Wrote: Steam

This issue does not affect the Steam version of Tropico 5.
The hotfix cannot even find my tropico 5 installation to fix it.
(20-05-2015, 07:43 PM)Fearnot Wrote: The hotfix cannot even find my tropico 5 installation to fix it.

Steam version?
(20-05-2015, 08:52 PM)Timo Wrote: Steam version?

Nope

I tried everything but the Hotfix cant find my installed tropico 5
(22-05-2015, 09:36 AM)Fearnot Wrote: Nope

I tried everything but the Hotfix cant find my installed tropico 5

Did you try un-installing and re-installing Tropico 5?
(22-05-2015, 09:39 AM)Timo Wrote: Did you try un-installing and re-installing Tropico 5?

I did dozens of time already.. I off the firewall/unblock... I change the file from read only to neither read only or hidden I basically did everything but the Hotfix cant find Tropico 5 installation
(22-05-2015, 10:16 AM)Fearnot Wrote: I did dozens of time already.. I off the firewall/unblock... I change the file from read only to neither read only or hidden I basically did everything but the Hotfix cant find Tropico 5 installation

That's really odd. You're using the installer from the disc to install the game on your harddisk, right?
(22-05-2015, 11:23 AM)Timo Wrote: That's really odd. You're using the installer from the disc to install the game on your harddisk, right?

well I just downloaded the installer from this site http://oceanofgames.com/.. no problem in the installation but when i play the game there is an error or something... and I tried the hotfix but it cant find the installation...Im running it in windows 8.1 by the way
Did you seriously just waste my time asking for support with a pirated version of the game?
Hi there, today i wanted to install Tropico 5 on my new computer. After that i downloaded the hotfix (i have needed it on the computer i have used before) but it doesn't works. I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit

Edit: It just don't open when i open it, it happens nothing
I have tried to download KalypsoTropico5Hotfix, but when I try to launch it it blocks (it says 100% download completed and then nothing happens).

Please help.