Hundreds of homeless, houses empty
Essentially my problem is summed up in the title.

I have literally hundreds of empty living spaces, but none of the people want to move in. It doesn't make sense either. These houses provide 100 housing, are in a nice area with 0 crime, clean environment, supermarket next to them, beautified, but they absolutely refuse to move in and all end up rebels.

What is going on here? Why can't I get people to live in these maxed out completely lovable houses right next to a subway station and garage? Why are FILTHY RICH people living in shacks instead of a modern apartment or mansion that is completely empty?!

I'm close to 2000 people and didn't have this problem before but after about 1500 people just started camping outside.
Hipsters. They don't want your mainstream luxury. They want a handcrafted eco-friendly shack.
Im sure you thought of most of these yourself but i guess it doesnt hurt to mention them again.

- Is the wealth requirement for the houses too high maybe ?
- How far away from their work is it ?
Sometimes they are camping right next to the modern apartments, and as stated above, event the filthy rich ones...
and i always activate the wealth requirement reduction for houses
(24-05-2014, 10:12 PM)ch3v4l13r Wrote: Im sure you thought of most of these yourself but i guess it doesnt hurt to mention them again.

- Is the wealth requirement for the houses too high maybe ?
- How far away from their work is it ?

I already mentioned that even Filthy Rich people are camping out in shacks and I have the Mortgage Edict, so basically anyone above broke could like in a decent 100 housing lvl house in a near perfect area, but just refuses to do so.
Housing should be near their work, but if you're up for it you can clean up the gene pool and kill em.
(25-05-2014, 02:00 AM)ztormtrooper Wrote: Housing should be near their work, but if you're up for it you can clean up the gene pool and kill em.

Should be near, but that is negated when I have instant transport subways. It also makes no sense why a farmer is camping outside of my docks, when the farms are on the opposite side of the island relative to the docks.

Even so there is a subway so likely it doesn't actually cost him any time to walk from A to B. He will just rebel against me because he's too stupid to find a home.
this was an issue in beta....

Not sure if it is a build issue on the part of the players.... OR, if it is a engine, game issue....

To help track this... Please,,, Post pictures of your islands where this is happening.. Post screenies, of the people that keep building housing...

Find out where they work, where they live, where their "Spouse" lives... how close garges are where people work, and live. AKA, if both are working, where there work place is, and where there house is, and where there closest mode of transportation is..

I have seen this in the colonial years with everything right next to each other... so i really think there is an issue with it.. but the more info we can gather, the better we can understand why this is happening.

I have had this happen with people right next to both places of work.. with empty houses, and more than enough cash.. there is some issue going on, so let's try to track it down
Is there no way we can adjust the price of the housing? Seems a bit like a step backwards to me. Yes I know about the edict but that doesn't let me adjust the cost directly. Or give free housing.
I have experienced this as well.
I have uploaded a save showing this to http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/53...3-sav.html
Although it is a campaign save so I don't know how easy it is to import it to another account.

This is a minor case of this bug, but I have seen far worse, for example a whole sea of tenements empty while fully employed tropicans sat in shacks next to the tenements. I kept building tenements while wondering why I had so many homeless only to discover that my tenements were empty.
My Setup:
I have turned on the Subsidy for Housing.
I have at least 20 tenements. These have been electrified.
I have 5 (x2) at both the docks that bring immigrants in. This was supposed to me a catch-all for unemployed or broke immigrants.
I have 5 near all the factories.
I have 5 in the core residential areas of my city.
All have at least one parking lot with really low traffic to allow for movement.

The parking lot is rarely used. I see may be one or two spots taken up in all these tenements.

I also noticed that apartments tend to fill up quickly and I see a dip in homelessness when I start building apartments rather than tenements.
Yeah, same issue here. I have some perfectly good Country Houses that require Poor wealth, and I have some employed Poor citizens in shacks right next to them. It's obviously not weath, it's not space (the Country Homes are empty), and it's not distance to place of employment -- the shacks are actually slightly farther away than the Country Houses.

(I'm at work right now; I'll try to post a screenshot when I get home).

EDIT: Figures, the most egregious case seems to have resolved itself, but this isn't much better. And I've attempted to sort of demonstrate the worse case here.
While this has been a minor problem in some games, it appears to be a huge issue in this game from my experiences. You can build houses right next to shacks, delete the shacks and then watch the shacks reappear right outside of the houses. This is with mortgage subsidies and social security enabled too.

I'm not entirely sure why this was changed from Tropico 4, as it was one of the things that was working fairly with the supported public transport. Considering Kalypso seem to have made an effort to make housing suburbs the 'standard' housing solution, the fact that this doesn't work is incredibly disappointing, as it means that incredibly ugly apartments dotted around all workplaces seems to be the only reliable solution.
(27-05-2014, 02:04 PM)fast_teamster Wrote: My Setup:
I have turned on the Subsidy for Housing.
I have at least 20 tenements. These have been electrified.
I have 5 (x2) at both the docks that bring immigrants in. This was supposed to me a catch-all for unemployed or broke immigrants.
I have 5 near all the factories.
I have 5 in the core residential areas of my city.
All have at least one parking lot with really low traffic to allow for movement.

The parking lot is rarely used. I see may be one or two spots taken up in all these tenements.

I also noticed that apartments tend to fill up quickly and I see a dip in homelessness when I start building apartments rather than tenements.

If you see homelessness dip when you build apartments, try raising the budget of one of the tenements - first to 4, then to 5. You should see it suddenly become habitable. I discovered this later on in one of my games - the citizens wanted better quality housing and the only way to get it from the tenements was to raise the budget or (since quality diminishes over time) demolish them and rebuild.

To be honest, they remind me more of Conventillos from Tropico 4. I wish they had a renovate button to make quality management easier...
Quote:While this has been a minor problem in some games, it appears to be a huge issue in this game from my experiences. You can build houses right next to shacks, delete the shacks and then watch the shacks reappear right outside of the houses. This is with mortgage subsidies and social security enabled too.

I have the same problem as well. A major annoyance.
(29-05-2014, 12:28 AM)becdar Wrote: I wish they had a renovate button to make quality management easier...

Great idea. Odd decision to make quality degrade over time and not include some type of renovation feature.
It would be great if Kalypso could recognize this as a bug and that it's being worked on.
Some games are straight up unplayable because of this.

It's obviously not an issue of distance, wealth or housing quality since they prefer living in shacks further away from work than the empty residential buildings are.
From what i've collected there are several conditions:
-distance from work;
-distance from spouse work;
-wealth/house quality;
-distance from school (if I understood lua script correctly, must check it).

I changed max distance from work and it slightly better now.
(29-05-2014, 10:42 AM)MissNet Wrote: From what i've collected there are several conditions:
-distance from work;
-wealth/house quality;

But if they actually used the metros and parking lots, the distance wouldn't be a problem?
(29-05-2014, 10:48 AM)popgalveston Wrote: But if they actually used the metros and parking lots, the distance wouldn't be a problem?
It shouldn't be, but I've seen people walk from their houses to work. Even though there's a metrostation right outside their front door, and a carpark right nearby.
(29-05-2014, 10:42 AM)MissNet Wrote: From what i've collected there are several conditions:
-distance from work;
-wealth/house quality;

Can you walk us through modifying this?
Formula is:
GetHousingQuality() * const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier - distance1 - distance2
distance 1 = distance from work
distance 2 = spouse distance from work

Putt the following in a text file in CommonLua folder (you'll have to make that folder) in the Tropico 5 directory and rename the file to a .lua (for example mod.lua)
(creds to DarthPresidente from this thread):
Code:
OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
    const.MaximumHouseDistance = 3000 * guim
    const.MaxSpouseWorkDistance = 3000 * guim
end
Defaults for const.MaximumHouseDistance and const.MaxSpouseWorkDistance are "1000*guim".

You can try put const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier too, but i couldn't find default value, so it's guess game:

const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier = 5 * guim

All constants can be found here: http://pastebin.com/LRfDWcxt (names are self-explanatory).
I've this issue as well. my housing is distributed to many parts of the island. Most importantly, the shacks are right next to empty country houses, so that's illogical.
Higher housing quality doesn't entirely address this, but it helps. Apartments are reasonably effective. I also use the "community assistance" improvement (I think that's the name) on churches and cathedrals. When I put my country houses in areas with reasonable beauty and within the area of effect of 1 or 2 churches, at least they end up mostly full.
(29-05-2014, 08:35 PM)MissNet Wrote: Formula is:
GetHousingQuality() * const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier - distance1 - distance2
distance 1 = distance from work
distance 2 = spouse distance from work

Putt the following in a text file in CommonLua folder (you'll have to make that folder) in the Tropico 5 directory and rename the file to a .lua (for example mod.lua)
(creds to DarthPresidente from this thread):
Code:
OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
    const.MaximumHouseDistance = 3000 * guim
    const.MaxSpouseWorkDistance = 3000 * guim
end
Defaults for const.MaximumHouseDistance and const.MaxSpouseWorkDistance are "1000*guim".

You can try put const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier too, but i couldn't find default value, so it's guess game:

const.HouseQualityAppealMultiplier = 5 * guim

All constants can be found here: http://pastebin.com/LRfDWcxt (names are self-explanatory).

hello, can someone create that mod to download? i dont know how do it to work

i write this "code" change 3000 to 5000 to txt, save to mod.lua and copy to commonlua folder and its not work for me
(16-04-2016, 01:10 PM)mietoo85 Wrote: hello, can someone create that mod to download? i dont know how do it to work

i write this "code" change 3000 to 5000 to txt, save to mod.lua and copy to commonlua folder and its not work for me

A mod already exists to help with the housing situation.   Check out Real Estate Agent
I'm constantly getting the same issue. I have shacks appearing right next to perfectly good modern apartments, with all the upgrades, yet filthy rich people still choose to live right next door in a shack.

From my games it appears to have nothing to do with distance to work, because as others have stated they will live in shacks further away from their place of work, and the place of work of the spouse, and also completely ignoring garages and metro. Why would a filthy rich person choose a shack when right next door is a half empty modern apartment with all its upgrades, and set on the highest budget level?

Completely illogical to the point where I am giving up playing T5, worst version to date. T3 & T4 never had this problem. Either its a bug, or a really dumb design decision because housing doesn't work in this game.

Personally I think there ought to be an edict than bans/outlaws the building of shacks, shouldn't El Pres be able to prevent people throwing up buildings without his permission? What kind of dictator allows the population to just build whatever they want.

Better still there ought to be some smarts in the game that say if there is a housing slot available and they can afford it, they should move in. No filthy rich people choosing shacks.
How can I assassinate the irrational, the people who use green other than as money, soylent,  or a color?  Can I have the asylum scoop them up automatically? 

Turn them into food?

Soylent Green!!!
(24-05-2014, 08:26 PM)Guidrion Wrote: Hipsters. They don't want your mainstream luxury. They want a handcrafted eco-friendly shack.

(01-06-2014, 09:00 PM)currierm Wrote: Higher housing quality doesn't entirely address this, but it helps

(02-05-2016, 12:12 PM)welcometomyhouse Wrote: How can I assassinate the irrational, the people who use green other than as money, soylent,  or a color?  Can I have the asylum scoop them up automatically? 

Turn them into food?

Soylent Green!!!

Is this assassination available in the Steam Workshop?
I have the same problem like the topic starter had.

E.g. there is a citizen (single, without "Spouse"), working in Parking Lot with "Rich" wealth provided. And the Parking Lot is rather close to Apartments. But the citizen lives in Shacks on the other side of the island. lol