Tropico 3 PC Demo released!
Chief Wrote:Works great on my computer...I download first from fileshack but it didnt work...I went back to a different site fileplanet.com download it from there and the game works great. Only problem is after you finish doing the 2 missions on tropico it ends and you cant keep building or continue with the game.

As a matter of fact, yuo can:
http://www.forum.kalypsomedia.com/showth...p?tid=1776
I am totally addicted! The original Tropico was one of my all-time favourite games and I still play it regularly today.

I have pre-ordered the Collector's Edition and can't wait for it to arrive. However, being based in the UK, I am upset that I have to wait until mid-October and am thinking of ordering the German version instead. I'm a fluent German speaker, so the language is not a problem, but I hesitate only because running German software on an English system sometimes causes problems...

It took me about 5 attempts to download the demo successfully, but since then I have had absolutely no problems running the demo on my Quadcore desktop, with the 64-bit version of Vista and a GeForce 8800GT. The graphics are fantastic, everything runs very smoothly and my only criticism with the AI is that people tend to run through each other!

I absolutely can't wait for release and whilst I will undoubtedly enjoy playing the sandbox mode, I hope that there will be a steady stream of new campaigns / scenarios released over the coming months!

Cool
minerva Wrote:I am totally addicted! The original Tropico was one of my all-time favourite games and I still play it regularly today.

I have pre-ordered the Collector's Edition and can't wait for it to arrive. However, being based in the UK, I am upset that I have to wait until mid-October and am thinking of ordering the German version instead. I'm a fluent German speaker, so the language is not a problem, but I hesitate only because running German software on an English system sometimes causes problems...

It took me about 5 attempts to download the demo successfully, but since then I have had absolutely no problems running the demo on my Quadcore desktop, with the 64-bit version of Vista and a GeForce 8800GT. The graphics are fantastic, everything runs very smoothly and my only criticism with the AI is that people tend to run through each other!

I absolutely can't wait for release and whilst I will undoubtedly enjoy playing the sandbox mode, I hope that there will be a steady stream of new campaigns / scenarios released over the coming months!

Cool

I don't speak German fluently but I understand alot of it. So i'm also thinking of ordering the German version.

One thing worries me though, will all the voice acting be in German as well? Because that would be a little TOO much German for me!
anyone experience this bug?

i went to the almanac -> list -> happiness and clicked on the least happy guy on the island and imprisoned him.

later, i went back to the almanac and found another very unhappy person who turned out to be a female farmer. although she is a different person than the guy in prison, everytime i clicked on her through the almanac and any other unhappy person, my screen would zoom into the same dude in the prison. although the dude in prision was one of the unhappy people in the almanac, it seems clicking on other unhappy guys seemed to put the camera focus on the guy in prison no matter what.

there seems to be a small issue with selecting and zooming in/out to certain people. i was following some people using the space bar and when i hit space again to unlock the camera, my camera zoomed out into a completely different area. when the camera unlocks, i think it should just stay put and not try to zoom out making it hard to track that person down again.

one more thing: i cannot tell the difference using free form road placement (shift key modifier) and just using regular road placement. what is the free form supposed to do? road placement is a huge hassle in this game either way. even a slight bend often notifies me that the road turns too sharp and i can't place it. c'mon, we have 90 deg. turns in roads, why is a slight bend considered too sharp of a turn? i just don't get this road placement logic and it's one of the rather annoying problems of this game. sometimes i have everything planned out in my head where i am going to place buildings and roads connecting them, but once i get to laying down the road, it rarely goes the way i planned because of these absurd restrictions. please give us more freedom and flexibility when it comes to roads. roads are such a critical part of the game that restricting placement this way seems so counter productive and no fun.
The normal road placement restricts the orientation of road endpoints to multiples of 45 degrees, the same granularity with which buildings are rotated. This guarantees (okay, makes more likely) that you'll be able to snap buildings along long stretches of roads placed like this.

The Shift/LT road placement removes this restriction, road endpoints can be arbitrarily oriented.

The roads vs. buildings vs. roads construction/alignment/placement code is very complex and tricky.
More freedom and flexibility would come together with the ability to place roads in absurd places (e.g. too steep slopes), across buildings etc; also, there's a limit to what the terrain smoothing code and the road rendering code can handle.
assen Wrote:More freedom and flexibility would come together with the ability to place roads in absurd places (e.g. too steep slopes), across buildings etc;

i am not understanding what you're saying here. are you saying it'll happen?
I'm just saying it's harder than it seems, nothing more, nothing less.
okay. but let me say, i understand the restriction of building placement on steep or rocky land. however should road placement be as restrictive? in real life roads are built on steep slopes, on rocky terrain, and even tunnels when situation calls for it. i guess i might just be used to the road placement of T2 where there were barely any restrictions. it's just frustrating at times trying to lay out your roads in T3.
forgot to ask this earlier, but are restaurants/pubs more for the tourists than the citizens? because i tried to improve food quality by building a restaurant in every area of settlement but there's rarely any customers eating there, even with population of 500. are most citizens content on getting their food from markets?
minmaster Wrote:..., but are restaurants/pubs more for the tourists than the citizens? because i tried to improve food quality by building a restaurant in every area of settlement but there's rarely any customers eating there, even with population of 500. are most citizens content on getting their food from markets?

If T3 replicates T1 -- restaurants are for entertainment for customers who pay; Tropicans are not taking a meal there any more than the tourists are. All customers are "eating out" for entertainment. The food for Tropican meals is available by the back door and you have to be watching to see Tropicans pick it up -- they don't come in or pay.

Additionally, you have to be sure the Teamsters deliver food to all the meal pick-up points.

Unless T3 has reorganized a lot more things than seems likely.
Wow, I gotta say, I'm thoroughly impressed by the demo. Especially by all the attention to detail: guys stumbling home drunk from the pub, the palace guard saluting me when I walk in the door, priests doing the sign of the cross when they enter the church... I think this kinda stuff always adds a lot of character to a game.

And I think the graphics are impeccable.
on the topic of priests (and also bishiops), are they allowed to marry in this game? i thought roman catholic clergymen have a vow of celibacy and cannot get married. yet in my game, my bishop was married.
There is definitely something peculiar with ATI X19.. cards.

The game loading screen, Kalypso; Haimonint and Nvida logos all run beautifully. However the island loading/creation screen breaks up into something akin to 4bit blocks.

On my first run through this didn't cause a problem, once past the island loading screen the game ran smoothly throughout the tuorial and my first dip into the campaign. I saved and exited and tried the game again a few hours later. Still have the strange broken island loading/creation screen but this time it continued into the bottom half of the game screen making it unplayable.

Fooled around with the graphics settings making things gradually worse until I finally popped in here for some advice.

I can run the game happily on Ultra graphics as long as Shadows are OFF, Water Quality on LOW.

(although water quality wasn't a game breaker at high, it just carries over the "wavelet texture" onto some of the land, it still does this at low it's just a lot less noticible. Of course I'm still getting the strangely broken into blocky bits island loading/creation screen (picture spectrum/c64 corrupt graphics) .

This is a real shame as I was looking forward to getting this, in fact even though I have the Tropico Gold installation disk somewhere I picked up the Tropico Reloaded bundle on Impulse just to reacquint myself with the franchise Smile

Quote: Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM

Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7280&SUBSYS_E190174B&REV_9A
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaste
The optimization of this game is absolutely embarrassing. I have two GTX280's in SLI and a i7 920 at 4.0 ghz and it runs like a slideshow with all the settings maxed, 1920x1200, 4x aa. Some seriously bad coding going on here. I can run Crysis DX10 maxed at double the framerate this game runs at or more. And Crysis has MUCH better graphics.
jcdenton Wrote:The optimization of this game is absolutely embarrassing. I have two GTX280's in SLI and a i7 920 at 4.0 ghz and it runs like a slideshow with all the settings maxed, 1920x1200, 4x aa. Some seriously bad coding going on here. I can run Crysis DX10 maxed at double the framerate this game runs at or more. And Crysis has MUCH better graphics.

Funny, I have a midrange Core 2 Duo and a single GTX260 216 and have zero problems running it on near-top settings. And it looks beautiful.

Maybe it's a problem with SLI? Your system should be overkill.
"Near top" settings are not top settings.
jaateloauto Wrote:
underadarkmoon Wrote:
Hmuda Wrote:Just as I feared. My single core CPU is just not enough. Even on the lowest graphics, the simulation only moves every 5-6 seconds by a tiny amount (visible on the citizens), no matter the setting of time compression.

I would have to agree with you on this...

I even defragged and all that.

Athlon 64 3700 2.25 ghz
2GB Ram
ATI Sapphire HD 3850 512 AGP

Yes my system is AGP too, but so what all the other games I play run fine at max settings...so this should at least be ok at low settings, but it isn't. I'm also allowing the application to handle AA and anisotropic filtering, which are actually turned off in the game
I'd say that it's no surprise that guy's old Celeron prosessor doesn't run the game smoothly but I ran the game just fine with computer inferior to yours. That you tried defragging your HDD hints me you might even believe yourself that you have some other problems with your computer, comrade.

I tried defragging the hard drive to see if that would help the game run smoother, which is very common practice, actually I defrag on a regular basis because I like to keep it defragged, so no I don't have any other issues with me pc, comrade
jcdenton Wrote:The optimization of this game is absolutely embarrassing. I have two GTX280's in SLI and a i7 920 at 4.0 ghz and it runs like a slideshow with all the settings maxed, 1920x1200, 4x aa. Some seriously bad coding going on here. I can run Crysis DX10 maxed at double the framerate this game runs at or more. And Crysis has MUCH better graphics.
a lot of people who have overclocked their rig are having similar problems. i'd suggest you bring it back to stock speeds and try.
I hate Crysis, and I hate when it's compared to other games. It was all flashy graphics and a serious lack of gameplay.

But I'm also experiencing some 'lag' and every few seconds the game freezes up for maybe 5-10 seconds. Then I remember this is a demo and that developers patch their games to fix these problems.
Borrowed my bosses MacBook Pro and installed the demo on the XP partition as there are issues on my main rig as it has an ATi X1900 (as previously noted on this thread) and has major graphics problems.

[MacBook Pro / Intel Core2 Duo / 4Gb Ram / NVidia 8600M GT (256Mb) / WinXP]

Great demo! Really addictive gameplay and stunning graphics. It manages to capture that sense of fun and immersion of the old Tropico games.

+Addictive and fun gameplay
+Stunning graphics (that water! the cars!!)
+Intuitive UI
-Doesn't work with the ATi Radeon X1900 card

I really hope the X1900 issue get's fixed as this is a must-buy... Smile

krell
I think this topic should better be locked to avoid the massive spam of personal opinions and complaints. I assume the developers already know what's wrong
you don't know how lucky i amTongue
my notebook:
Asus F3T
AMD Turion 2.21GHz
2 GB RAM
nvidia GeForce Go 7300
Windows 7 7100 build
and it runs smoothly!!!
1280x800 on low details, but that doesn't matter because i can playCool
thank you kalypso you have done a great job!
great details!!! especially in port where you can watch how is moved with cargo
Great, you can buy the game next month! You didn't have to post this info (is it even info to us?) in this topic or even this forum.
minmaster Wrote:
a lot of people who have overclocked their rig are having similar problems. i'd suggest you bring it back to stock speeds and try.

I'd have to second that...running a single GTX 295 with an i7 960. 1920x1200, highest settings. Runs smooth for me. Nothing overclocked.
Stukov Wrote:
minmaster Wrote:

I'd have to second that...running a single GTX 295 with an i7 960. 1920x1200, highest settings. Runs smooth for me. Nothing overclocked.

Possibly it also depends on the operating system.
Milani Wrote:I hate Crysis, and I hate when it's compared to other games. It was all flashy graphics and a serious lack of gameplay.

But I'm also experiencing some 'lag' and every few seconds the game freezes up for maybe 5-10 seconds. Then I remember this is a demo and that developers patch their games to fix these problems.

Like it or not, Crysis is the graphics benchmark for PC games right now and probably will be for a while longer. The merits of Crysis as a game don't even matter here. What's important is that graphically, Crysis offers similar but much more detailed and demanding environments/effects than Tropico 3, yet Crysis runs smoother. I doubt that most of the people who say the game is smooth for them are running all settings at max and with decent resolution/AA.

If Tropico 3 had a bunch of physics and fancy DX10 effects going on, that would be a different case, and I could go ahead and say "hey, they did a good job coding it and PCs just need to catch up." But the assets in this game are low tech at their core as you can see if you zoom in at all. It's basically Black and White 2 with more trees. This game should be running 150fps maxed on my machine, yet it frequently drops into the 20's. I have basically all of the major PC games from the past few years and this one has the lowest framerates by far. Worse than ARMA 2 which has a lot more going on in it and is the poster child for bad optimization.
jcdenton Wrote:
Milani Wrote:I hate Crysis, and I hate when it's compared to other games. It was all flashy graphics and a serious lack of gameplay.

Like it or not, Crysis is the graphics benchmark for PC games right now and probably will be for a while longer. The merits of Crysis as a game don't even matter here. What's important is that graphically, Crysis offers similar but much more detailed and demanding environments/effects than Tropico 3, yet Crysis runs smoother. I doubt that most of the people who say the game is smooth for them are running all settings at max and with decent resolution/AA.

If Tropico 3 had a bunch of physics and fancy DX10 effects going on, that would be a different case, and I could go ahead and say "hey, they did a good job coding it and PCs just need to catch up." But the assets in this game are low tech at their core as you can see if you zoom in at all. It's basically Black and White 2 with more trees. This game should be running 150fps maxed on my machine, yet it frequently drops into the 20's. I have basically all of the major PC games from the past few years and this one has the lowest framerates by far. Worse than ARMA 2 which has a lot more going on in it and is the poster child for bad optimization.

Crysis is a fps and uses another engine. You don't see 500 Tropicans walking around in that game. The entire island has to be generated real time, that costs a lot of calculation power. Your processor is constantly working to keep track of your people. While at Crysis you have some loading pionts and a big part of the game is processed in advance.
jcdenton, we seem to have some kind of problems on SLI configurations. Could you please for the sake of experiment disable SLI temporarily and report the result? Thank you.
A 7300 GT should run, although very slowly and ugly. What was the problem? Did you have latest drivers? In what resolution did you try to run it?

The Xbox version will look better than a 7300GT, yes.
captain jesus Wrote:I seem to have a rather aggravating problem with the demo. I'm running an 8800 GTX with the latest divers on Vista, but it says I don't have a DX9 compatible video card and refuses to start. I'm completely confused on what could cause this, and I've never had an error like this before. Does anyone have any advice?

Turns out I can get the demo to start if I set my monitor resolution 800 x 600, I've had a similar problem with GTA 4. However, when I actually get to the settings menu I get this:
[Image: http://i33.tinypic.com/ibaqlu.jpg]
and I can't change the resolution back to 1680 x 1050, on account of the top half of the menu being cropped off.

The game is entirely unplayable at 800 x 600. Does anyone have any advice?