Technical Problems? Post and Read here
This is an attempt to consolidate the myriad problems and solutions with Grand Ages: Rome. Feel free to post questions and solutions.
If you're having graphical problems, check this out...

Graphical Problem
I just bought Grand Ages Rome from Gamersgate and patched to 1.11 and am trying to do the tutorial. The first message tells me to use the mouse to scroll and the middle mouse button to rotate. I'm playing on a laptop with no middle mouse button. How do I rotate? And how do I get the tutorial to continue? Nothing is happening. Is there a manual for this game
(30-04-2010, 02:05 AM)jgeorge666 Wrote: I just bought Grand Ages Rome from Gamersgate and patched to 1.11 and am trying to do the tutorial. The first message tells me to use the mouse to scroll and the middle mouse button to rotate. I'm playing on a laptop with no middle mouse button. How do I rotate? And how do I get the tutorial to continue? Nothing is happening. Is there a manual for this game

Have you tried holding down the left and right buttons at the same time while you scroll?
(30-04-2010, 03:21 AM)Adekyn Wrote:
(30-04-2010, 02:05 AM)jgeorge666 Wrote: I just bought Grand Ages Rome from Gamersgate and patched to 1.11 and am trying to do the tutorial. The first message tells me to use the mouse to scroll and the middle mouse button to rotate. I'm playing on a laptop with no middle mouse button. How do I rotate? And how do I get the tutorial to continue? Nothing is happening. Is there a manual for this game

Have you tried holding down the left and right buttons at the same time while you scroll?

Yes, I tried that and it didn't do it. After fooling around for a while I discovered that if you hold ALT while moving the pointer you can change the view. It'd be nice if this game had a manual. How can anyone sell a game without a manual????
Ok, well, check to make sure that your video card meets the minimum system requirments first of all. If it does, try going to your card maufacturers website and download the latest drivers. To find your computer information, go to Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Performance Information and Tools, then click on the 'view and print details'. If you still need help, post your system info and someone can probably help you out.
Hi,

Just bought a Grand Ages Rome - Gold edition from steam.. installation went smoothly and finish.. when tried to launch it brings me to select option if the main game or expansion game then after I Click "play"

It only says "preparing..." it doesn't give me any error or launch the game itself (just bough it last night I've tried the demo version works perfectly via steam but when I've purchase very disappointed coz I've install/uninstall several times but no joy... romanum emperium works perfectly last time also)

Could anyone helps pls?
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66GHz 6.2

lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
Gaming graphics 1775 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 326GB Free (454GB Total)
(05-05-2010, 03:23 AM)rvyne Wrote: Hi,

Just bought a Grand Ages Rome - Gold edition from steam.. installation went smoothly and finish.. when tried to launch it brings me to select option if the main game or expansion game then after I Click "play"

It only says "preparing..." it doesn't give me any error or launch the game itself (just bough it last night I've tried the demo version works perfectly via steam but when I've purchase very disappointed coz I've install/uninstall several times but no joy... romanum emperium works perfectly last time also)

Could anyone helps pls?
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66GHz 6.2

lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
Gaming graphics 1775 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 326GB Free (454GB Total)

That was strange. You can report it to Steam if you haven't already. It seems like you have an integrated video card, that may be the problem. I can't help you more than that, cause I'm not familiar with Steam errors.
"I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon"
Hi, I have been playing GAR on my computer completely fine until I try Multi-player. I can NOT connect to multi-player "can't connect to internet, check internet connection" My internet connection works fine if I use Firefox. I emailed Kalypso, and they said try turning off firewall/anti virus, I did and still can not connect. My Internet Explorer does not function properly, however Firefox is my default browser. Any suggestions? Thanks.
(30-05-2010, 09:26 AM)swedish caesar Wrote: Hi Guys!

Im a new nember to the Gar- family, and i am having some trouelbe getting started.

I hade similar issues as people who have posted before, that my computer sez: i need a supported Dx9 compatible video card, with resent drivers.

My specs are:
Systems: Manufacturer: Dell
Type: Inspiron 530s
System memory:1,99 Gb Ram

storing capacity: 289 Gb (213 free diskspace)

Graphics: Graphic card: Intel(R) G33/31 Express Chipset Family
Graphic memory: 286 mb
Graphic drives: 7.15.10.1666
Directx.versionBig Grinirectx 9.0 or later

The impression i have got from reading threads is that my graphics card is a bit bad, is it correct that i need to get a new one?(considering my specs)

And if i do get i new one, what should i think of when buying one? (compatability with other stuff in my computer and so, working with Gar..etc)

I would be very grateful for response, and pardon my english!

You MUST upgrade your video card. If it is possible, upgrade to a video card with 1GB of ram.
"I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon"
I'm starting out with GAR. My system is pretty near the minimums for this program : 2.66 GHz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, PCI Geforce 6200 based video (which is the best I've been able to find for this motherboard, which has no AGP or PCI-E ports). So far I'm able to play OK but pan, rotate and zoom are all jumpy. I get the cursor to the edge of the screen where it holds the the view jumps half the distance across the screen. It's very hard to enjoy the game when fighting with a technical issue like this. Are there any suggestions for tweeking the game or graphics to make it smoother? Most of the game video setting are set pretty low right now. Also, I use a Logitech Marble Mouse (trackball) and if there are any settings for the mouse that would make the game easier I'd appreciate knowing them.
My problem is I can't get the game to load at all.

Whenever I try to run the game, the mouse pointer appears on the screen for a moment, then I get a CTD "Windows had a problem with this program and had to stop" blah blah blah.

My Specs:

Nvidia 285GTX 1gb graphics card.
4gb DDR2 ram
2.3ghz Intel Quad
DirectX 10/11
Okay, I decided to download a pirate version of GAR for testing (I purchased Gold Edition on steam) and when installing the pirate version of GAR it loads fine. Really strange. However, when I install the Expansion Pack (Reign of Augustus) then I still get the Crash on Startup.
I bought gar at walmart, the package contained NO unlock code! now I am stuck with Coola game that will not work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
(01-11-2010, 11:32 PM)pj123 Wrote: I bought gar at walmart, the package contained NO unlock code! now I am stuck with Coola game that will not work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
My copy did not require an unlock code to run. The code was only for online play. Maybe it's a different version. If the game won't work have you tried returning it to Walmart? They might be reluctant to refund it but you could request an exchange as defective.

So I got GAR gold at Target and instalation went smooth, but when I tried to load it it had a bar at the bottom next to Reign of Augustus critical error. Nothing you could do except close each and then it took you to the forum. Please help me out with this.

I have a GeForce 8400 GS as my video card
Steam Grand Ages Rome Gold not working

Just bought, download and installed GAR Gold from Steam. Not running at all, always get the message Grand Ages Rome has stopped working...from Windows.

I previously installed demo and it ran perfectly. I'm really disappointed because if demo run ok, complete game should do likewise.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L305-SP6922R
Windows Vista® Home Basic (SP1, 32-bit version), Spanish
2GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM
Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with 128MB-830MB
Tried to install patch GARPatch101-111, it don't even run and say have to install first "Please Install Grand Ages Rome 1.01"

Please help.
I can't start the game, log says: COULDN'T FIND OR PARSE MAP FILE

I was playing just fine, then got kicked off and now I can't load my game. I click on the saved game, then the screen goes black and GAR kicks me off. It will let me start a new game, but I don't want to lose all of my progress and I'm afraid that I'll just get kicked off again.

I'm using Windows XP, I just got a new video card, I only have one monitor, I re-installed DirectX - oh and I bought the CD version of GAR:Gold Edition at Target, not on-line.

I'm banging my head against the wall here!!

I have the crash file if that helps

Help!
Other then a crash when I hit a certain build size I have never had an issue. I believe the crash is due to my RAM constraints since I only have 6 gigs.
I just bought the game and I Installed it properly, but when it loads, I have no mouse! I mean, I have a mouse, but no pointer appears on the screen. My mouse works fine for any other game. Im on a hp laptop with windows 7.
Having problems with building textures!! Sad

I have the texture settings on ultra and my system should be able to play like that (it works fine on imperium romanum) but for some reason non of the buildings and some of the terrain appear to be very detailed. They all seem to be set to the lowest texture setting possible.

Help would be much appreciated!! Tongue
I bought Grand Ages Rome: gold edition about a year ago. Got a new computer and im trying to install the game here but lost the box the game came in and cant play the game because it asks me for a serial number. Is there a way to obtain a new number or do I have to buy a new game?
Many project websites link to this document in their sections on how to get help. That's fine, it's the use we intended — but if you are a webmaster creating such a link for your project page, please display prominently near the link notice that we are not a help desk for your project!
We have learned the hard way that without such a notice, we will repeatedly be pestered by idiots who think having published this document makes it our job to solve all the world's technical problems.
If you're reading this document because you need help, and you walk away with the impression you can get it directly from the authors of this document, you are one of the idiots we are talking about. Don't ask us questions. We'll just ignore you. We are here to show you how to get help from people who actually know about the software or hardware you're dealing with, but 99.9% of the time that will not be us. Unless you know for certain that one of the authors is an expert on what you're dealing with, leave us alone and everybody will be happier.

HP Officejet 4650 Wireless Setup