Challenge editor
(28-08-2012, 11:07 PM)Fidel deBooks Wrote: Have I missed something? That's not the case. My DLC's are available in the editor. (was that an old post quoted Coconut Kid?)

The quote is from message #28 in this thread and is dated August 13, 2012, as shown. It seems not likely to be so ancient as to explain why your experience does not comport with it. Ivko seems to be a Haemimont representative so one wonders why he says something that you find to be untrue.
(29-08-2012, 04:27 PM)CoconutKid Wrote:
(28-08-2012, 11:07 PM)Fidel deBooks Wrote: Have I missed something? That's not the case. My DLC's are available in the editor. (was that an old post quoted Coconut Kid?)

The quote is from message #28 in this thread and is dated August 13, 2012, as shown. It seems not likely to be so ancient as to explain why your experience does not comport with it. Ivko seems to be a Haemimont representative so one wonders why he says something that you find to be untrue.
Indeed. Most unusual. But rest assured, my eyes have not failed me at this critical juncture of discussion. In fact I reiterate, my DLC's are most certainly available in the challenge editor.

More to the topic, DLC content I don't even own is available in the challenge editor. It's a wondrous thing. Cool

(29-08-2012, 02:33 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote: Unfortunately, it seems that reinstating the task IS the only option. I was hoping that there might be something in the Update Task but it can't change the condition.
Thank you sir. I have resigned myself to a clickfest in order to accomplish the multitude of tasks before me. If only it had it not been such a critical component of my challenge. Such is life. Cool
Let me clarify. The buildings from the small DLCs are not available for placement on the map in the Challenge Editor. They can still be checked in conditions, etc.

With Modern Times we allowed placing the new buildings in the Challenge Editor, but only users who have Modern Times can play such challenges. We decided to make this system for "versioning" only for Modern Times, otherwise there would be tons of different challenge categories not everybody could play.
(30-08-2012, 01:05 AM)Ivko Wrote: Let me clarify. The buildings from the small DLCs are not available for placement on the map in the Challenge Editor. They can still be checked in conditions, etc.

With Modern Times we allowed placing the new buildings in the Challenge Editor, but only users who have Modern Times can play such challenges. We decided to make this system for "versioning" only for Modern Times, otherwise there would be tons of different challenge categories not everybody could play.

And the cloud lifted and the citizens rejoiced Big Grin

Thx Ivko
I am new to using the Challenge Editor. I am stumbling around ok and finding most things. The one thing I have not found is how to add rock structures. I want these structures because they add beauty. As it is now, I can only have what the random map generator created. I can not find anything that lets me create these rock structures.

Sometimes these structures are a few boulders on the beach. Sometimes they stand as tall or taller than most buildings in the game. Often they form a bridge or archway type of structure.

I have noticed that I can demolish the rock structures. But I want to create them.

How do I create rock structures?

EDIT: A follow up question is whether or not the recent Modern Times game expansion allows rock structures to be built in game. I know a feature bullet noted improvements in the challenge editor, but wasn't specific. I'd like to buy the expansion when I get the spending money and find out for myself. But if someone can tell me the capability is in the expansion I will work harder to get money to buy it.
I'm unable to get the Mission Description Editor to work. It either doesn't appear at all or it flashes on and immediately disappears. What am I doing wrong.

And it would be nice if they added a beauty flag to the 'Crops and Beauty' section.

Edit: Would like to set the starting population and money but can't. Thanks
I found a bug in the Challenge editor. If you try to make a label count of the amount of gardens or trees built by the user the editor does not work well. The sequence does not refresh when you click on it like it does with label counts of other buildings, furthermore the statement does not execute during playing.

One other thing is it possible to have more control on which buildings are available to build. I mean if I want a user to be able to build a wind turbine but my scenario starts at 1990, it cannot be done because at that time the turbine is replaced by solar panels. The challenge editor allows you to unlock new buildings for the player at any time but it does not allow you to do the other way round, that is unlock old buildings. If I use the unlock building on the wind turbine if the scenario starts at 1990 the solar panels are still there.
Yet another bug in the Challange editor. This time I found that when you try to make a lable count of the number of ancient ruins set to museum or excavation the label count will not work. Can you please fix it as I need to test this for my next scenario.
(24-11-2012, 12:17 PM)ercolesptr Wrote: Yet another bug in the Challange editor. This time I found that when you try to make a lable count of the number of ancient ruins set to museum or excavation the label count will not work. Can you please fix it as I need to test this for my next scenario.

This is a special case as the ancient ruins transform into other buildings. You can use the automatic labels for Museum and Excavation instead.

(20-11-2012, 10:09 AM)ercolesptr Wrote: I found a bug in the Challenge editor. If you try to make a label count of the amount of gardens or trees built by the user the editor does not work well. The sequence does not refresh when you click on it like it does with label counts of other buildings, furthermore the statement does not execute during playing.

One other thing is it possible to have more control on which buildings are available to build. I mean if I want a user to be able to build a wind turbine but my scenario starts at 1990, it cannot be done because at that time the turbine is replaced by solar panels. The challenge editor allows you to unlock new buildings for the player at any time but it does not allow you to do the other way round, that is unlock old buildings. If I use the unlock building on the wind turbine if the scenario starts at 1990 the solar panels are still there.

I have made some challenges with counting gardens and trees and they used to work fine. Are you sure the problem is not in the sequence itself?

As for the wind turbine - you have special actions that can modify timeline events. This should, hopefully, resolve your problem.
(26-11-2012, 12:57 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote: This is a special case as the ancient ruins transform into other buildings. You can use the automatic labels for Museum and Excavation instead.

OK I solved this and it is working well.

(26-11-2012, 12:57 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote: I have made some challenges with counting gardens and trees and they used to work fine. Are you sure the problem is not in the sequence itself?

The same sequence works well when made to count Horticulture Centres or city parks, only with trees and gardens it does not work

(26-11-2012, 12:57 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote: As for the wind turbine - you have special actions that can modify timeline events. This should, hopefully, resolve your problem.

Yes but I would like to be able to switch between solar panels and wind turbines using sequences in the challange editor. So far if I unlock Solar panel it becomes available but if I do it on wind turbine it remains solar panels
How do I make a mission objective where the requirement is to increase overall crime safety happiness to... let's say, 80%?
(13-01-2013, 12:36 PM)HotSpot Wrote: How do I make a mission objective where the requirement is to increase overall crime safety happiness to... let's say, 80%?

Should be pretty straightforward. I am quoting from memory at the moment but you just need a task with progress that checks happiness and then crime safety of the all citizens label (it's automatic and already in the menu; you don't need to set it up yourself). You should set the happiness to be equal to or greater than 80 and that should do the trick.
(14-01-2013, 03:00 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote: Should be pretty straightforward. I am quoting from memory at the moment but you just need a task with progress that checks happiness and then crime safety of the all citizens label (it's automatic and already in the menu; you don't need to set it up yourself). You should set the happiness to be equal to or greater than 80 and that should do the trick.

Well, that was pretty easy. How did I miss that?
Now I feel stupid ^^"
Thanks for the help!
I have another issue with the challenge editor.
I can't seem to find a way to make the objective for a mission "attract X rich tourists".
Can anyone help me?

Oh, and another Issue has popped up.
My sequence editor randomly becomes unresponsive, and I am unable to edit anything. The "action" and "action properties" lists become frozen, and I am not able to edit them.
Any and all help is appreciated.
(15-01-2013, 11:19 PM)HotSpot Wrote: I have another issue with the challenge editor.
I can't seem to find a way to make the objective for a mission "attract X rich tourists".
Can anyone help me?

My sequence editor randomly becomes unresponsive, and I am unable to edit anything. The "action" and "action properties" lists become frozen, and I am not able to edit them.

Nobody?
(24-01-2013, 10:08 PM)HotSpot Wrote:
(15-01-2013, 11:19 PM)HotSpot Wrote: I have another issue with the challenge editor.
Can anyone help me?

Nobody?

I'm not sure if this would work but I would create a label for tourists have dollars over X amount. You have to determine what you consider rich and label it as such. Example: tourist having over $100. Then check a condition determining however many have entered Tropico. Once that amount has entered I would declare the task completed. Not sure if that would work but it is what I would try. Cool
"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices." A quote from you know who... Cool
(31-01-2013, 07:34 AM)chepetico Wrote:
(24-01-2013, 10:08 PM)HotSpot Wrote:
Can anyone help me?

Nobody?

I'm not sure if this would work but I would create a label for tourists have dollars over X amount. You have to determine what you consider rich and label it as such. Example: tourist having over $100. Then check a condition determining however many have entered Tropico. Once that amount has entered I would declare the task completed. Not sure if that would work but it is what I would try. Cool

Actually, it's simpler than that. Use label tourists by type (in the Tourists menu) and set it to continuous update (in the Other menu) and then just count the label with a task with progress. You'd want to use "Change" in the task (if I recall what the difference between Change and Increase by is).

Here is a more in-depth explanation on why you need to do these things:

The creating of the label is pretty self-explanatory - you want to count the number of a specific class of tourists.

The continuous update is needed so that the game will update your label at all times (otherwise only the tourists that were in the label when it was created will appear in it).

The task with progress is the way to go if you are making an objective that wants to count something (in this case the number of tourists). As I remember it, if you select the "Change" option it will count a new element when it enters the label but would not reduce the count when an element is leaving the label. This is exactly what you need for this type of label because otherwise the number will drop when a tourist leaves the island.

I hope that clears your question.
Hello, that does look easier. Thanks for your response, I plan on using this in my challenge. I have a question concerning the random events indicator. Does that only control disaster? What else is effected by turning the indicator off.

Thanks!
Joe
Big Grin
"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices." A quote from you know who... Cool
Hi, thanks for answering our questions!

I have several questions about the challenge editor.

1. How can I access the ruins used in Isla de Hierra? The ones that look like a ruined Mayan city. I know how to access the pyramid.

2. Why are none of the add ons like the plantation, labor camp, and conventillo available?

3. Where is the coral like texture in editor. I only see the seaweed.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm really making progress with the challenge.

But this is more of a bug than an issue... whenever I try to create an action that changes the price of a good (more specifically: rum and spiced rum), the sequence editor simply freezes, and it takes me ages to be able to do the changes.
Why is that?
(05-02-2013, 04:14 PM)damascus90 Wrote: Hey,

So I've been playing round with the sequence editor in particular and I have a question I cant find the answer to.

So you know with the "On-Screen Notification" action it has the parameter fields to pass in Register values. Is there any way of passing in Register values in other actions, specifically to be displayed as text.

For Example: In a "wait-choice" action, I would like the text for the individual choices to contain Register values.

I have noticed that something similar 'might' have been done in at least 2 standard sequences.
  1. Protesters - in particular I have seen several events that looked the same (mine worker protest) but which have had different payoff totals in the choice text (based on the protesters numbers)
  2. Elections - I'm pretty sure that at least one of the "wait-message" or "wait-choice" boxes had (in the body text) the number of supporters for both candidates.
Any ideas or examples would be great.

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that. These text that you mention are custom and not started by the sequence editor.
Alright everybody, thanks for the help so far, I managed to make a Modern Times scenario "From rocks to riches", which did not turn out as I wanted it to...
But it was more of an experiment, and now I am working on a new scenario, "Of presidents and cookies", and it shall turn out better.
And now, the first issue that i have:
How do I keep track of emigrants? I want to make it so that every emigrant increases a register by 25.
(06-04-2013, 11:01 PM)HotSpot Wrote: Alright everybody, thanks for the help so far, I managed to make a Modern Times scenario "From rocks to riches", which did not turn out as I wanted it to...
But it was more of an experiment, and now I am working on a new scenario, "Of presidents and cookies", and it shall turn out better.
And now, the first issue that i have:
How do I keep track of emigrants? I want to make it so that every emigrant increases a register by 25.

Well, I worked my way around. I first kept track of all unemployed citizens, added 25 to said registry for each unemployed citizen, then had 75% of the unemployed citizens leave the island, and removed 25 from said registry for each remaining unemployed citizen.
Can someone please explain how to make a beach for a dock, because my beach doesn't let place one.
Timo

I have a problem, I don't know maybe if its I'm missing something or its a bug.

Normally lets say you if place 2or3 units of gold on top of each other any mine will add the units together and mine till the number reaches 0.

I'm making a scenario where oil is a plentiful resource i have made a few small, and a few large oil deposits, but i wanted to make 2 Very large deposits next to the volcano(its for reasons of mission settings and Role Play). I placed 3 large oil deposits on top of each other, The problem here is it only shows 8,000 units to start when the oil well is created then it will mine up until the number reaches exactly 20 units remaining then stop production even though the other 2 are untapped.

Is there a way to change this though settings in game or is this a mistake on the program side?

Any help would be welcome as always

Thanks again, signed SSRCP
Hi,

First I want to say that this a great game. I have a request concerning the dialog boxes and wanted to know if this could be addressed in a future update. I've received feedback on my challenge that the dialog options are a little confusing. If possible, and if a task is marked optional true, dismissible false can the options read Accept/Reject instead of Accept/Close?

Thanks!
Joe
Smile
After a new building of Modern Times timeline was unlocked, I want to build the old style building.
I tried the action of change and stop of the timeline events.
However, they were useless after the age that was already unlocked.
The Build menu still shows new buildings. (example: Bio Farm)
Can I back to OLD timeline events? Sad
(21-04-2015, 03:30 PM)Santana Wrote: After a new building of Modern Times timeline was unlocked, I want to build the old style building.
I tried the action of change and stop of the timeline events.
However, they were useless after the age that was already unlocked.
The Build menu still shows new buildings. (example: Bio Farm)
Can I back to OLD timeline events? Sad

Not sure how this relates to the challenge editor, but no, you can not go back in time once new buildings have been unlocked through the timeline. There's a mod out there which enables this behaviour, but the game was not designed to support this.
Timo

It is quite regrettable.
I want to make a challenge with the sequence that can switch the old-new of the building menu, ex. The technology regress island mission.
I find a Mod LockNot , it's a nice mod.
Thanks.
Hi all, I have a question about printing a register value one screen like capaign - 7 (Crisis) => DEFCON.
How do I implement it?( looks like not task, task in process... )

Register is a nice design, but there doesn't support it in many fuction ? like give money, modify property....Am I wrong?