Fool me twice...
I'm playing Mission 16 or so (which I think is "Forgiveness") that I think of as "El Presidente's Return". Disappointing homecoming in that the island has _seriously_ reverted with pretty much every resource exploitation structure gone. Not too bad, except that apparently someone is trying to kill you. Poison. Exploding cigars. Collapsing construction sites. Etc.

What is royally annoying me in this mission is that having dealt with all of the conspirators that have backstabbed and abandoned him, El Prez now MUST pay Santana $230,000 from his Swiss bank account, MUST build 10 mines and give CEO Preston 70% of the revenue, etc. For what???? Some basic info on who it is that is trying to assassinate him? Pretty much EVERY mission, there is at least one assassination attempt on El Prez. Can't his own Secret Police deal with the threat? What about his several clones created by the Academy of Science on several islands run interference for him?

More importantly, especially considering the cost, what makes El Prez think that those others that screwed him so royally in the past simply won't take the very LARGE payment and screw him again?

It makes no sense to even try to deal with those people again -- especially when more than likely one (or more) of them is the power causing the assassination attempts.

Instead of paying those backstabbers, he should be suggesting that they pay _him_ to avoid being caught in an assassin's crosshairs!
"Until you know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."
I love your analysis. I think choices are important when it comes to story-based games. That's a bit hard to do with a full campaign because some characters may play a specific (and important) role in a future mission, thus can't "die" or whatever in a current one. I do think the mission you were talking about should have had some options other than being forced to do what they said.

I just completed my first edited challenge and will be uploading it soon. In it I have a "crossroads" where you have to choose a path. The thing was a killer to edit because now I had two separate paths that could no longer coincide with one another. It was like editing two completely different missions. Now the pro to that is that it creates, hopefully, replayability. The con is that it takes so long to "program". I must say that I LOVE the Challenge Editor.

I think stories are important to games like this and I love the work Kalypso did with the campaign. It's much more engaging than any Tropico game in the past. I hope we get some "extra missions" content soon.

TropicoChallenges.com (Tropico news, tips, challenges, and tutorials)

Overview of new stuff in Tropico 4: Modern Times
I completely agree. I really was disappointed by the fact I didn't have a choice other than to cough up the dough. I wouldn't mind if the mission would have been longer, and harder. I really didn't want to pay a single peso to that Santana s.o.b.
I agree, but 230k is small price to pay for revenge (from my 6 mil+ swiss bank account).
Actually the only thing you have to do is to pay Santana from your Swiss bank account. The Keith Preston mines mission is not compulsory. It helps you to fill the bank account but there are many other ways to fill it, too.
(20-09-2011, 08:56 AM)Viljanen Wrote: Actually the only thing you have to do is to pay Santana from your Swiss bank account. The Keith Preston mines mission is not compulsory. It helps you to fill the bank account but there are many other ways to fill it, too.

The think about the Preston task is that if you have fewer than five tasks running, once you open the task, you can't get rid of it. Your ONLY choice is to accept the task, so even if you intend to _not_ complete the task, you thereafter have to get by with just four task slots. (Three, actually, because the Santana task is already taking up a slot.)

"Choose wisely."
Something else that bothers me about the mission: It concludes when you pay Santana $230,000 "from your Swiss bank account". That being the case, money taken immediately from the Swiss bank account is, specifically, money taken "from your Swiss bank account". Boom; mission over almost as soon as it started. HOWEVER, in reality, "money from your Swiss bank account" is _actually_ money that would have been sent to your Swiss bank account. No filthy foreign currency permitted! It MUST be locally extracted graft that pays off Santana!

Just being pedantic.

[/rant]

"Choose wisely."
Wow, CaptainPatch. You sure seem to know a lot about Swiss Bank Accounts. Smile
TropicoChallenges.com (Tropico news, tips, challenges, and tutorials)

Overview of new stuff in Tropico 4: Modern Times
(21-09-2011, 09:43 PM)jtracy Wrote: Wow, CaptainPatch. You sure seem to know a lot about Swiss Bank Accounts. Smile

Not as much as I would like to know about them. Not by a million or two. Big Grin

"Choose wisely."
(21-09-2011, 07:51 PM)CaptainPatch Wrote: Something else that bothers me about the mission: It concludes when you pay Santana $230,000 "from your Swiss bank account". That being the case, money taken immediately from the Swiss bank account is, specifically, money taken "from your Swiss bank account". Boom; mission over almost as soon as it started. HOWEVER, in reality, "money from your Swiss bank account" is _actually_ money that would have been sent to your Swiss bank account. No filthy foreign currency permitted! It MUST be locally extracted graft that pays off Santana!

Just being pedantic.

[/rant]

What you're saying is that if you start the mission with already at least 230k in your Swiss Bank Account you will win it instantly?

Capitalists (+++)
Communists (+++)
Intellectuals (++)
Environmentalists (+)
Militarists (+)
Nationalists (-)
Religious (-)
Loyalists (-)
(22-09-2011, 02:13 AM)Il Presidente Wrote: What you're saying is that if you start the mission with already at least 230k in your Swiss Bank Account you will win it instantly?

That would be the logical conclusion. Along those lines, something I've been wondering ever since Mission 3 or 4: Is there any particular reason why a depositor to a Swiss bank account can NOT withdraw any of that money? Is the "account" in reality "protection money" being paid to some international banksters?

"Choose wisely."
I'm having trouble finishing this mission. I've tried it with out having 230k and then getting that amount and having already built up 230k on the map. Both times the task completes with me doing nothing to actually 'pay' it. But after that the mission just keeps on going :-( Any advice?